Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Musty smell... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/musty-smell-t40529.html)

grammynan 03-24-2010 03:43 AM

I was given several boxes of fabric that was obviously stored in a basement. All of it has that musty-basement smell.

Do you think just airing it out will get rid of the smell? Or should I begin the long process of washing it all? Should I use anything special in the washing cycle? Should I use cold or warm water?

Any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!

Nancy

mom-6 03-24-2010 03:50 AM

If there are no obvious signs of mildew, I would just try to find a place to hang up the various pieces of fabric where they can air out for a time. Once upon a time we all had clotheslines outside in our backyards that were perfect for such!

Your other option is to wash it all. I would do it in warm water and a small amount of your regular laundry soap along with some baking soda added to help deodorize.

raptureready 03-24-2010 03:53 AM

If you do wash the fabric, put some baking soda and white vinegar in each load---they will smell so nice. Sometimes a musty odor is mildew in the making. I'd wash them.

no1jan 03-24-2010 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
If you do wash the fabric, put some baking soda and white vinegar in each load---they will smell so nice. Sometimes a musty odor is mildew in the making. I'd wash them.

I agree, definitely wash with the baking soda and vinegar. You would want the material clean anyway. :)

Oklahoma Suzie 03-24-2010 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
If there are no obvious signs of mildew, I would just try to find a place to hang up the various pieces of fabric where they can air out for a time. Once upon a time we all had clotheslines outside in our backyards that were perfect for such!

Your other option is to wash it all. I would do it in warm water and a small amount of your regular laundry soap along with some baking soda added to help deodorize.

good idea

tweety 03-24-2010 04:15 AM

I was also going to say white vinegar. I was told to do this with the dog bedding to get the doggie smells out. If it will work on that it should work for mildew too.
Linda

raptureready 03-24-2010 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by tweety

I was also going to say white vinegar. I was told to do this with the dog bedding to get the doggie smells out. If it will work on that it should work for mildew too.
Linda

I used the baking soda and vinegar a couple of weeks ago when I bought 134 yds of fabric from a household that had 3 heavy smokers in it. The fabric wreaked of cigarette smoke. After washing and drying it smelled wonderful but I had to use a LOT of B-soda and vinegar. Over a cup with each load.

sunflower126 03-24-2010 05:47 AM

I hate to tell you this, but years ago I had to store fabric in my basement and it also got that musty smell. I did rewash it but only in detergent. Every once in awhile I will pull out a piece and I know that it is from the old stuff stored in the basement. Hopefully with vinegar and or baking soda it will smell great. Good luck.

cindyg 03-24-2010 08:38 AM

Baking soda, white vinegar and warm water.

Margie 03-24-2010 08:54 AM

I agree.

Margie