Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My 6yr old wants to hand quilt her next one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-6yr-old-wants-hand-quilt-her-next-one-t60569.html)

quilt addict 08-21-2010 09:00 AM

I think it is great that she wants to learn. let her pick a simple design and try it. Maybe a sashiko type design which is supposed to be bigger stitches is a good starting place.

I am still learning and all my teachers stress the evenness of the stitch length first. Then you work on getting smaller stitches.

Harmony 08-21-2010 09:03 AM

Why not trace a simple quilting design on some plain fabric, make it into a sandwich, and then let her practice on that. It will be smaller and easier for her to handle, and she won't worry about messing up her crib quilt until she's ready to try that challenge.

np3 08-21-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I don't want to sound mean but....
Teach her the proper way to do it with as small of stitches as she can manage. Tell her the smaller the better. After a few minor pin pricks she'll learn. We can't protect them from every little hurt as much as we want to. Let her learn and part of the learning is learning not to stick yourself.
Just give her some thimbles and keep encouraging her. Tell her that it will be so beautiful when she gets it done and that yes, it takes a long time but it's worth every minute.

Every read the story about the butterfly struggling to get out of the cocoon? All the hard work needed to get out also helps them develop so that they can fly. If you open it for them they die. Allow your "butterfly" to develop so that she can fly.

I totally agree. My 7 year old GD started using a needle to sew when she was 5. SHe has made a crib sized quilt and is starting on her 2nd one.

sewmuchmore 08-21-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
Raptureready you said that so beautifully!!!
Encourage your daughter the whole way. Handquilting I feel is becoming a dying art form so let her do it!!

I agree I wished I had someone to teach me when I was young.

hobo2000 08-21-2010 03:31 PM

When I was about 3-4 before kindergarten, my grandmother had me embroidering tea towels. That was what you did back in time. Teach her the proper way, how to sit with the correct light going over her shoulder ( was it right or left) and how to tear out the stitches that don't look perfect. The whole nine yards. My sons made potholders with buttons on them so they could sew buttons on their clothes. Thank heaven because the women they married never saw a needle much less thread...

pab58 08-21-2010 06:22 PM

You must be so very proud of her! :wink:

pab58 08-21-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Harmony
Why not trace a simple quilting design on some plain fabric, make it into a sandwich, and then let her practice on that. It will be smaller and easier for her to handle, and she won't worry about messing up her crib quilt until she's ready to try that challenge.

And she won't feel overwhelmed with a large project. :wink:

grammyp 08-21-2010 06:26 PM

Good for her! And remember, perfect practice makes perfect, or so our swim coach always said.

littlehud 08-22-2010 08:59 AM

I can't wait to see her project. She is one of us. And with your help I know she can do it.

ckcowl 08-22-2010 09:32 AM

i was probably 5-6 years old when my grandma gave me needle and thread and fabric to stitch, i was a pest, always right there watching every move when she was sewing, knitting, what ever...i didn't hand quilt back then i embroidered pictures on muslin squares...and i'm sure i poked myself plenty, but i don't remember, what i do remember is i've loved to sew since i was pretty young, and am so grateful to a patient loving grandma who let me do, without ever saying i was too young; her philosophy with all of us kids was if we were old enough to say...i want to sew too...you were old enough to sew.
i didn't get to use an iron until i was 8...then only at 4-H...grandma's was too heavy for me to lift :)