Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Baby is fixed!!!!!!!!! But... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-baby-fixed-but-t153194.html)

LLWinston44 09-15-2011 01:21 PM

YAY just got the call that my Babylock is fixed and ready to be picked up! Only, I'm VERY VERY confused!!!!! It turns out they had to replace the damaged bobbin case??? HOW would that get damaged??? and HOW would *I* have damaged it!!??? It's not covered under warranty as they say it was my error, not the manufacturers. I just don't understand enough about machines to know what I might have done to it.

quilter68 09-15-2011 01:25 PM

My bobbin case popped out of my hand one night and I couldn't find it. ( Of course when I moved the next year I found it.)
I had to buy another one but it wasn't expensive. Under $20, I am sure.

p.s. run the machine before you leave the store.

sewwhat85 09-15-2011 01:25 PM

did you break a needle? that sometimes can damage it

LLWinston44 09-15-2011 01:36 PM

No! I didn't break a needle at all!! At least.... not that I know of! lol!

LLWinston44 09-15-2011 01:36 PM

AND it's going to cost me $75. The part was $30.

crafty_linda_b 09-15-2011 01:56 PM

Kim $75 including the part seems pretty reasonable to me. The machine tech in my area charges $79 just to clean, oil and adjust a machine. If it needs any parts or more work that will cost extra...maybe you got some lint built up and it pushed your bobbin case out of wack? or some fabric got caught in it? I agree with quilter68..check it out at the shop before you take it home to make sure it is working properly. Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b

LLWinston44 09-15-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Kim $75 including the part seems pretty reasonable to me. The machine tech in my area charges $79 just to clean, oil and adjust a machine. If it needs any parts or more work that will cost extra...maybe you got some lint built up and it pushed your bobbin case out of wack? or some fabric got caught in it? I agree with quilter68..check it out at the shop before you take it home to make sure it is working properly. Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b

Oh there was no oiling and cleaning involved. The machine is brand new. Just got it in/around June. I am not complaining about the price, I'm glad it's fixed... I was just stating what the charge was compared to her $20 part.

I'll bet you nailed it on the head though. I was using the vinyl and practicing FMQ but forgot to cut out a square of vinyl. I don't remember anything happening except that I sewed to the vinyl, but that was probably the issue since it happened right after that.

Dolphyngyrl 09-15-2011 02:42 PM

you are not using metal bobbins in it are you. Also if you put the bobbin case in wrong after cleaning you can damage your machine or case. When I changed my needle plate I put the bobbin case back in wrong and me needle kept hitting it in my babylock espire

Farm Quilter 09-15-2011 02:44 PM

I dropped my bobbin case and dented something - I couldn't see it but my machine certainly knew! They are quite delicate and need to be handled with a great deal of care. I always have a back up case just cuz!!!

Kas 09-15-2011 03:05 PM

In my opinion, the warranty should cover everything for the first year, at least.