Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My bobbin is stuck!! HELP!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-bobbin-stuck-help-t67878.html)

bluteddi 10-02-2010 09:48 AM

I am having problems with my bobbins....

When I wind on the monofilament line ( clear thread) it winds smoothly and easily. But, when I try to remove the bobbin, from the winder( on the machin), it wont budge. I have tried loading smaller amts in stead of a full bobbin (I'm useing this thread on a already started originially used an older machine was used to start it,, and had NO problem with it. ) I have tried as little as loading a 1/3 of a bobbin ( for a large quilt... this would take forever to get done if that all I can load on to a bobbin) but I still could not the bobbin off.. I emailed Brother and they basically told me.. we dont use that tread to test but heres a chart to show u about the wt of fabrics..( I guess this made them feel like they had done something) I do not have this problem with any of my other threads!! HELP!!

Scissor Queen 10-02-2010 09:53 AM

You're probably stretching the mono as it winds onto the bobbin and then it goes back and compresses the center of your bobbin. You'll have to unwind it to get the bobbin off. I never use mono in the bobbin. It's just too hard to get a properly wound bobbin and keep proper tension with it in the bobbin.

Prism99 10-02-2010 10:10 AM

Yes, you have to wind monofilament thread *slowly* so it does not stretch as it goes onto the bobbin. Stretching as it winds means the thread springs back once it is on the bobbin and exerts more force on the center, actually making the bobbin hole too small to remove from the winding post.

Also, can your machine take metal bobbins? Plastic bobbins are much easier to distort with stretched thread. Even with metal bobbins, it is advised not to fill them completely full because of the pressure exerted against the top and bobbin; however, metal bobbins are less likely to distort from the pressure than plastic bobbins are.

Also, check how the thread is fed to the bobbin. You may be able to skip a tensioner to lessen tension on the thread as it winds.

Darlene 10-02-2010 10:12 AM

I tried this thread once on a Singer machine and it wouldn't stay in the needle. I never did figure out what was wrong.

kellen46 10-02-2010 10:18 AM

For quilting in the bobbin I use Bottom Line in a light silver color and it is almost invisible, no problems with the bobbin but it will not work on the top. However it is so fine a bobbin will last twice as long. It seems to blend right into any color and virtually disappears into the quilting on the back. May be the problem is that the thread you are using was never meant to go into the bobbin but only be used on the top.

donnajean 10-02-2010 11:25 AM

I had that happen to me just once. I learned to wind slow & make sure thread from spool flows freely. Do not take the shortcut of leaving thread in tension & needle to wind a bobbin. That will make the bobbin wind too tight. I have a Viking Rose & use the plastic bobbins.

BellaBoo 10-02-2010 11:30 AM

Nylon monofilament will stretch a lot. The poly monofilament has hardly any stretch. I've never had a problem winding the bobbin with the poly.

QUILT4JOY 10-02-2010 05:12 PM

I've read here recently that you can hand wind it onto the bobbin. Haven't tried that yet. Still smarting from the time I tried using the monofilament

cathyvv 10-02-2010 05:16 PM

My lqs told me not to use it on the bobbin.

MadQuilter 10-02-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
My lqs told me not to use it on the bobbin.

So did my teacher.