Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My castle needs help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-castle-needs-help-t228072.html)

jillmc 08-16-2013 06:09 AM

My castle needs help!

1 Attachment(s)
So after a day spent drafting this block, and many ripping and re-working, here is what I have. ( yes I know it's not perfect-the fabric was shredding after so much ripping!). The turret points obviously need help! The 2 on the right are flying geese-how do I get the points to be the same size? The point on the left was a failed attempt but I think I can just adjust the top point.....or is the center point ok being larger? Open to any and all suggestions! (The block is 12 1/2").......

jemma 08-16-2013 06:46 AM

why do they need to be the same -as long as the block fits where you need it--- looks like a castle to me --love the colours

francie yuhas 08-16-2013 06:51 AM

Looks fine to me! I'd put an embellishment on the top of the L turret...maybe use a pigma pen to put on a flag?

feline fanatic 08-16-2013 06:52 AM

I think the little girl that gets that block in a quilt will be thrilled. She won't know that the turrets are not all supposed to be different. I think it has great visual interest and you color choices are perfect for a "princess" quilt.

Yosamitesa 08-16-2013 07:07 AM

I LOVE it!!! Looks AMAZING!!!

barny 08-16-2013 07:10 AM

I think it's perfect, as is,. Not much is ever the same. It has visual appeal. I love it.

dunster 08-16-2013 07:14 AM

Looks good to me. Fabrics are perfect, definitely looks like a castle.

Tartan 08-16-2013 07:36 AM

​It looks great to me! Embroider a little flag pole on the one turret and add a little appliqué triangle flag with her initial embroidered on it.

jillmc 08-16-2013 07:41 AM

OP here....thanks for the sweet comments! I thought you would all tell me to tear it apart and start over! ;). Embroidered flagpole with her initials is perfect! Originally, I was going to do several of these blocks with sashing-scrappy in pinks and purples cuz she is a purple-lover. Better ideas for a layout? Want to keep size down to a lap quilt size....will 9 patches look too busy?

CarolynMT 08-16-2013 08:11 AM

You could do different types of flags/embellishments on the different blocks, so each block is unique.

Some ideas:

Small ribbon sewn on and tied to look like bows on the turrets
Embroidered flags (I would do the initial on for center block)
Applique flags
Beads/Buttons sewn on like a weathervane, can get special buttons for that
Instead of the top of turret, you could sew on small lace at the part where the top meets the column
....that is all I can come up with right this moment. But you could easily embellish each of the 9 blocks differently. Let your imagination run wild, or if your daughter knows about this, get her to help ;) she might enjoy embellishing her special quilt