Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Christmas Present (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-christmas-present-t209147.html)

Lillymolly 12-24-2012 06:06 AM

My Christmas Present

I am so excited! After months of contemplating on what to do, I finally decided to go for it and buy the
HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down quilting machine. For those of you who have this machine, I was wondering what brands of thread do you like to use with this machine? I use cotton thread, mostly Connecting Threads and Gutterman. I am hoping that this machine will like most threads like my Elna does. Thanks for any comments....Happy Holidays!

Karen's Kreations 12-24-2012 06:21 AM

Congratulations. I have the Sweet Sixteen too and love it. I haven't had mine long so I'm still on a learning curve, but one thing I've found is my machine likes the same type thread on top and bottom. It doesn't seem to be picky about the brand as long as it's the same. I love Aurifil thread so that's what I tend to use.

hairquilt 12-24-2012 06:33 AM

Yes, Congrats to you-You will love it!! Mine seems to like any thread I use, I have had no problems with it yet. I do have the Tru stitch regulator & it has made it possible for me to do a passable job of FMQ. Good luck to you!

joyce888 12-24-2012 07:47 AM

Congrats! I'm still contemplating if I should get one or not.

annthreecats 12-24-2012 08:04 AM

Congratulations. If I every get a quilting machine it will be a sit down. Enjoy.

madamepurl 12-24-2012 08:41 AM

Congrats! I got my SS in early December as a b-day & Christmas present. Well, I've been practicing with it and have found out that it's not the least bit fussy about thread. It tensions super easy and takes all the needles sizes. I just love this machine. I almost went with another brand, but I am so glad I didn't... they said it only took x and y needles and I want to use a range from very fine 100 wt silk to 12 wt thread to really stand out. Depends on my project.

I even found some lovely embroidery thread that worked great. It was so fine it totally disappeared. They have excellent webinars that they have on their site to watch. The have one - TNT - Tension, Needle and Thread. It was very informative and tells all about the needles they use, putting it in correctly, and talks about different thread to use. One thing they always say in these is to match top and bottom, but there are several people on the forum - there is a Yahoo group for SS sit down and they say they use Bottomline or something finer than on top.

HQ just did a webinar on rulers that I participated in and they answered questions as we typed and their customer service is so fantastic. I got the overlay with my regulator, well I wondered if you can use it with ruler work. They didn't answer that question on the forum, but I got a personal email the next day from them.

Also don't know if you got the regulator, but what I've found out is you need to keep it closer, so it feels the movement and still have to watch the speed. I want to go fast if I'm just FMQ and I've had to turn it up to 35% to keep up with me.

Jerudy 12-24-2012 09:48 AM

I also got my Christmas gift 3 days early, mine is the Babylock Tiara, same machine, I'll have to check out handiquilters' webinar.

Mom3 12-24-2012 08:42 PM

You ladies are killing me - I want a SS so b-a-d! I wish you all good thoughts and great stitches! :)

Shari

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-24-2012 09:21 PM

Congrat's I'm so jealous! Merry Christmas! :) Can't wait to see what you make...

Jingle 12-24-2012 09:52 PM

Sounds great. If I had the room I would want a sit down machine too. I know you will enjoy using it.