Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Christmas Present

My Christmas Present

I am so excited! After months of contemplating on what to do, I finally decided to go for it and buy the
    HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down quilting machine. For those of you who have this machine, I was wondering what brands of thread do you like to use with this machine? I use cotton thread, mostly Connecting Threads and Gutterman. I am hoping that this machine will like most threads like my Elna does. Thanks for any comments....Happy Holidays!

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    Congratulations. I have the Sweet Sixteen too and love it. I haven't had mine long so I'm still on a learning curve, but one thing I've found is my machine likes the same type thread on top and bottom. It doesn't seem to be picky about the brand as long as it's the same. I love Aurifil thread so that's what I tend to use.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Congrats to you-You will love it!! Mine seems to like any thread I use, I have had no problems with it yet. I do have the Tru stitch regulator & it has made it possible for me to do a passable job of FMQ. Good luck to you!

Blog Entries
    Congrats! I'm still contemplating if I should get one or not.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. If I every get a quilting machine it will be a sit down. Enjoy.

Congrats! I got my SS in early December as a b-day & Christmas present. Well, I've been practicing with it and have found out that it's not the least bit fussy about thread. It tensions super easy and takes all the needles sizes. I just love this machine. I almost went with another brand, but I am so glad I didn't... they said it only took x and y needles and I want to use a range from very fine 100 wt silk to 12 wt thread to really stand out. Depends on my project.

I even found some lovely embroidery thread that worked great. It was so fine it totally disappeared. They have excellent webinars that they have on their site to watch. The have one - TNT - Tension, Needle and Thread. It was very informative and tells all about the needles they use, putting it in correctly, and talks about different thread to use. One thing they always say in these is to match top and bottom, but there are several people on the forum - there is a Yahoo group for SS sit down and they say they use Bottomline or something finer than on top.

HQ just did a webinar on rulers that I participated in and they answered questions as we typed and their customer service is so fantastic. I got the overlay with my regulator, well I wondered if you can use it with ruler work. They didn't answer that question on the forum, but I got a personal email the next day from them.

Also don't know if you got the regulator, but what I've found out is you need to keep it closer, so it feels the movement and still have to watch the speed. I want to go fast if I'm just FMQ and I've had to turn it up to 35% to keep up with me.
    - Rose

I also got my Christmas gift 3 days early, mine is the Babylock Tiara, same machine, I'll have to check out handiquilters' webinar.

You ladies are killing me - I want a SS so b-a-d! I wish you all good thoughts and great stitches!

Shari

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Congrat's I'm so jealous! Merry Christmas! Can't wait to see what you make...
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Sounds great. If I had the room I would want a sit down machine too. I know you will enjoy using it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've had my Sweet Sixteen for a few years now ... and I have used it with all types of threads with no problems. I have a test quilt (a small piece of fabric/batting/fabric about 15x15) that I use to check and make sure all my tensions are correct before I start the real quilt. So if the tension isn't set right I am not messing up anything good. Enjoy your new SS

I am ther with you! I want one as well. Maybe next year!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
    You ladies are killing me - I want a SS so b-a-d! I wish you all good thoughts and great stitches!

Shari

Blog Entries
    I have the Tiara!! I'm just learning. I love it!! Can't get the hang of the stitch regulator though. Great gift!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
    I have the Tiara!! I'm just learning. I love it!! Can't get the hang of the stitch regulator though. Great gift!
    I had met my sights on a Tiara and DH was agreeable. Then he saw the Crown Jewel long arm machine and he decided that the Tiara would still be difficult to use for King size quilts. I had to agree that the Crown Jewel would be much easier to use. Next problem--Where to put it. The only room that is really big enough is my sewing studio, but I have a large sewing cabinet with an extension table that takes up a lot of space. We decided that we would move the guest room to the downstairs bedroom that my son had when he was in college. Then we can move the cutting table and ironing station from the sewing studio to the old guest room and that will make room for the Crown Jewel. Needless to say, we have a lot of work to do before we can bring the machine home. I would have been perfectly happy with the Tiara, but if DH wants to buy the Crown Jewel, who am I to say no? lol

Congrats! Enjoy it!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Power Poster
    Congratulations on getting the HQ Sweet Sixteen, you're a lucky gal. I don't have room for anything larger than my Janome, but that's OK, as long as I can sew and quilt, I am a happy camper.

I've had mine for a while and love it. Haven't tried using rulers yet but the free motion quilting is a breeze and even in the ditch if you are not too picky isn't hard. Its so much easier than my domestic
    machine

I am another one who loves my sweet 16. I have yet to have it complain about any thread I have thrown at it. Yenmet metallics, superior invisible poly, king tut, aurifil, guterman, isacord, yli, and I can't remember the others! Any good quality, strong thread will do as long as you get comfortable adjusting the tensions. I generally use superior's Superbob per-wounds in the bobbin, just because it is easy.

pam

Congratulations and enjoy your machine! My hubby bought me one in October and I love it. My machine came with a few samples from Superior threads and I have ordered some more from them. My machine seems to like all types threads so far!!

Blog Entries
    It will use almost any thread. I've had mine for about 3 years! Love it, just remember to oil it each time you use up a bobbin. Its' not fussy at all.
    Patski
    always learning

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think I'm the only one who doesn't want a long arm. I want my best friend to get a long arm so she can quilt my quilts! I am not there in my brain yet. I don't dare think for one minute I could run one of those things. I am in awe of you who do. I bow to you! I send my quilts to you and love them when they come back to me! Thank you all!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Hooray for you! I have been drooling over the new Baby Lock Tiara, but for now it's just not in the budget.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)