Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My experience today with Crayola Washable Markers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-experience-today-crayola-washable-markers-t267652.html)

slbram17 07-16-2015 03:31 PM

My experience today with Crayola Washable Markers

I posted the other day about the washable markers fine point being available at Walmart. I picked up a couple of boxes, and finally today tried out one. I chose the fuschia color and used it on a half square triangle to mark the sewing lines. I then ironed the seams which ironed the color also.

I washed the square in cold water with a little Dawn (wasn't going to put it in the washing machine). I rinsed, towel dried and ironed the rest of the moisture out.

Very good experience. No color left where I marked it.

Just sharing in case some of you might be considering these markers. Of course, I only tried the fuschia but I thought that would be a good test. I tried the sharpened chalk someone mentioned but the mark was a little too fat for my purpose.

Serita

toverly 07-16-2015 03:34 PM

Handy to know, I didn't know you could iron it.

slbram17 07-16-2015 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7258892)
Handy to know, I didn't know you could iron it.

It doesn't mention it on the box, but I needed to set the seams. To be safe, I could have washed it first then set the seams. But I got away with it on my square.

faykilgore 07-16-2015 03:57 PM

What color fabric did you test it on? I've only had trouble when I used them on white. Some of the colors left a yellow shadow after washing.

Alice PD 07-16-2015 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I am always looking for better marking tools. I am saving this info for sure!

ManiacQuilter2 07-17-2015 03:05 AM

It was wise of you to test it. I just prefer to stick with white powder chalk. I got burned with Clover blue powder chalk that would not wash out but never have had a problem with their powdered white chalk.

Onebyone 07-17-2015 03:59 AM

I've tried them on almost every type of fabric. I have two grands under 3 and they love to mark with markers. The Ultra Clean Crayola brand is the best at washing away the first time. I had trouble with the regular in some colors washing out. If you don't have tots around, squiggle every color on a white piece of fabric and wash as you would a quilt.

slbram17 07-17-2015 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7259220)
It was wise of you to test it. I just prefer to stick with white powder chalk. I got burned with Clover blue powder chalk that would not wash out but never have had a problem with their powdered white chalk.

Well, it is kind of scary putting marker on your fabric but this seemed to wash out fine. I have not tried it on white yet though.

alleyoop1 07-17-2015 04:57 AM

I love, love, love Crayola Washable Markers! Since I found out about them last year I have used them exclusively. I had a very good autumn last year - found out about Crayola Washable Markers and the pinking blade for my rotary cutter! I have had more fun than I should have been allowed!!!! :)

luvstoquilt 07-17-2015 05:55 AM

I am game! Can't wait to try this. Thanks!