Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Fabric Needs Me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-fabric-needs-me-t296872.html)

meanmom 05-13-2018 04:36 AM

Yes I have precious pieces of fabric I have been hoarding. I have a large collection of Kaffe Fasset fabric I have been collecting fro years. It is just too pretty to cut up. I have finally found the perfect 2 projects for it.
I have a layer cake I really liked. It was the Grunge fabric line. I was saving it for something special. I pulled it out several times to make a quilt for my grandson. I kept putting it back because it wanted it for something special. I finally told myself if my cute little grandson isn't special, who is.
I am getting better about using up my special fabric that I like to pet.

luvstoquilt 05-13-2018 05:04 AM

French General speaks to me. It is so pretty I can't seem to find a pattern worthy. One of these days....

Mdegenhart 05-13-2018 05:17 AM

I have a six yard piece of bright yellow with hot pink batik I bought on clearance for a backing when I first started quilting. One of these days I will find the perfect pattern and fabrics for a top to honor its fabulousnous.

TAMARATJO 05-13-2018 05:45 AM

I have a collection of fabric that I just love and keep waiting for the right quilt pattern to highlight the beauty of the fabric. I take it out, look at it, decide the pieces of the blocks are too small to show it off, and pick some other fabric. I finally made a wall hanging quilt that I thought had big enough block pieces to show it off, but still have plenty left for another quilt. And I am back to "saving" the fabric. Maybe this thread will get me to pull it out and use it too.

Battle Axe 05-13-2018 05:46 AM

I have some effervesense that is just too pretty to cut up. For those of you like me who can't spell, it is a dark background with lots of colorful bubbles.

Boston1954 05-13-2018 05:47 AM

That has happened to me a multitude of times. Some times, a piece will wait for years before it gets its chance to play.

KwiltyKahy 05-13-2018 06:09 AM

Not just fabric. I am always torn in this kind of decision. On the one hand you should go ahead and enjoy it. On the other, if something happens, then it is gone or ruined and you don't have it for the special times. At my age I guess it is better to go ahead and enjoy. I hear my stash calling. LOL

Lena1952 05-13-2018 07:06 AM

Many years ago hubby and I were at an auction where we purchased box and boxes (1200+) well kept/clean feed sacks still sewn into bags. The only problem is; I can't seem to cut them up to make anything. I get them out ocassionaly to admire them and then put them away till next time. I did sell enough of the duplicates to pay for all the feed sacks I purchased but even that made me feel like a traitor. LOL

mac 05-13-2018 09:13 AM

Yeah, I know how you all feel. Sometimes I just like touching and feeling and ironing fabric more than I have the incentive to use it in the 'wrong' pattern. That would be just horrible. It is funny, can't stand ironing the clothes I wear, but I wouldn't think twice about ironing my precious fabric. I'd say that I am a sick person, but I know there are a lot of you out there that understand me perfectly. :D

mac 05-13-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 (Post 8057176)
Many years ago hubby and I were at an auction where we purchased box and boxes (1200+) well kept/clean feed sacks still sewn into bags. The only problem is; I can't seem to cut them up to make anything. I get them out ocassionaly to admire them and then put them away till next time. I did sell enough of the duplicates to pay for all the feed sacks I purchased but even that made me feel like a traitor. LOL

Yep, I understand that, too. Are they 30's type prints? By the way, my mother just loved using flour sack fabric for drying the dishes. That way you can use them without cutting them.