Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Fabric Needs Me

My Fabric Needs Me

When going through your stash looking for some fabric to make a new quilt? Do you ever have one fabric that you keep putting off making something with? I do, Every time I go through my stash looking for fabric to make a new quilt, I have this one fabric that keeps asking me if today is her turn. I keep saying not yet you are for something special. Will this fabric has been in my stash for 5 years now. So, I told her yes it's your turn. I will take you out of the closet and make something with you.

Funny you should ask..... I have been going through cabinets, drawers, and bins lately trying to get rid of those items I know I will never use. And out popped some Minion fabric that I HAD to have when it first came out. And so I thought it would make adorable pillow cases. It has been washed and ironed - just waiting for my return to my sewing room to cut and sew. (However, in the back of my mind I hear - But what about the quilt you want to make with it?)

I keep hoarding polka dots waiting for inspiration. Every once in awhile I'll want to hack into it for a piece here and there for other quilts but I don't. It's time is coming, though,mince I found a pattern. Won't make a dent in the stash but, who cares? Love me some polka dots!!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I have had some that just were " too pretty" for one project or another. But recently, l heard a daughter lament over the huge array of " things" she had to go through after her mom passed. And l have decided that a finished quilt made with these pretties would be much more appreciated by my non sewing children than a pile of pretty fabric.

YES! Those fabrics I just couldn't do without. I've decided I'd enjoy the fabric more if I got to work with it. So I've made 3 simple patterns and enjoyed looking at and petting the fabric.

I have some specialty fabric I bought from the designer at a quilt show. I love it but I don't know if I'll ever find a pattern that will work with it.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

You are not alone...I finally used one of them to replace a picture that had faded. I know it will eventually fade, but in the meantime, I get to see it every day.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I was in that situation recently. I had some lovely fabric left from an art quilt I designed & finished. The fabric appealed to me so much that I bought it in all the colors the store had-red, purple, black, & light & navy blue. Some colors had big pieces left after my Doctor Who art quilt & I just kept hoarding it. Ocassionally I’d take it out, pet it, & croon, “My precious!” I decided it was silly to keep it hidden & when Mystery #19 came along it was time to use it! I used the red & both blues & I remembered how I enjoyed working with it. I’m very pleased with the look of the mystery blocks & am happy this favorite fabric will soon be on display! Don’t do like my late MIL who saved so many things for ‘some special day.’ We found so many wonderful things still with tags that she never wore or used, so she didn’t get to enjoy them at all. One item still had ‘Christmas 1953’ on the outer wrapping! It was as old as I, & never used. How sad.

i have a several yards I purchased on clearance when I was a new quilter. I was drawn to the line because it was named the same as one of my daughters. I have been passing it over for 6 years. I need to just start using it.

I have a 4 yard piece of red with small white flowers. It's been washed to remove the excess dye and then folded and put back in a drawer. I even bought the backing for it. A simple pattern would work wonderfully for it.....but alas....there it is still waiting after more than 5 years. Am I telling it "grow old with me...the best is yet to come"????

Blog Entries
    Yes I have precious pieces of fabric I have been hoarding. I have a large collection of Kaffe Fasset fabric I have been collecting fro years. It is just too pretty to cut up. I have finally found the perfect 2 projects for it.
    I have a layer cake I really liked. It was the Grunge fabric line. I was saving it for something special. I pulled it out several times to make a quilt for my grandson. I kept putting it back because it wanted it for something special. I finally told myself if my cute little grandson isn't special, who is.
    I am getting better about using up my special fabric that I like to pet.

Blog Entries
    French General speaks to me. It is so pretty I can't seem to find a pattern worthy. One of these days....
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I have a six yard piece of bright yellow with hot pink batik I bought on clearance for a backing when I first started quilting. One of these days I will find the perfect pattern and fabrics for a top to honor its fabulousnous.

I have a collection of fabric that I just love and keep waiting for the right quilt pattern to highlight the beauty of the fabric. I take it out, look at it, decide the pieces of the blocks are too small to show it off, and pick some other fabric. I finally made a wall hanging quilt that I thought had big enough block pieces to show it off, but still have plenty left for another quilt. And I am back to "saving" the fabric. Maybe this thread will get me to pull it out and use it too.

Blog Entries
    I have some effervesense that is just too pretty to cut up. For those of you like me who can't spell, it is a dark background with lots of colorful bubbles.

That has happened to me a multitude of times. Some times, a piece will wait for years before it gets its chance to play.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Not just fabric. I am always torn in this kind of decision. On the one hand you should go ahead and enjoy it. On the other, if something happens, then it is gone or ruined and you don't have it for the special times. At my age I guess it is better to go ahead and enjoy. I hear my stash calling. LOL

Many years ago hubby and I were at an auction where we purchased box and boxes (1200+) well kept/clean feed sacks still sewn into bags. The only problem is; I can't seem to cut them up to make anything. I get them out ocassionaly to admire them and then put them away till next time. I did sell enough of the duplicates to pay for all the feed sacks I purchased but even that made me feel like a traitor. LOL

mac
    Yeah, I know how you all feel. Sometimes I just like touching and feeling and ironing fabric more than I have the incentive to use it in the 'wrong' pattern. That would be just horrible. It is funny, can't stand ironing the clothes I wear, but I wouldn't think twice about ironing my precious fabric. I'd say that I am a sick person, but I know there are a lot of you out there that understand me perfectly.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
    Many years ago hubby and I were at an auction where we purchased box and boxes (1200+) well kept/clean feed sacks still sewn into bags. The only problem is; I can't seem to cut them up to make anything. I get them out ocassionaly to admire them and then put them away till next time. I did sell enough of the duplicates to pay for all the feed sacks I purchased but even that made me feel like a traitor. LOL
    Yep, I understand that, too. Are they 30's type prints? By the way, my mother just loved using flour sack fabric for drying the dishes. That way you can use them without cutting them.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I bought a fabric I adored in preparation for the quilt I would make for that "When I am Old, I Shall Wear Purple" day, at age 60.
    By the time I was 67 and the quilt wasn't yet made, I didn't like it any more.
    Sold a bunch of it at one point, but now I'm 73 and I still have some and I still no longer love it. Sigh.
    I try to no longer buy "oh, my gosh, I love that!" fabric, because I'm apparently fickle in my fabric tastes these days.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Where do you sell your fabric? I have thought about a sale at my house but afraid that people will think it is a yard sale and will want things for next to nothing. Do you sell on line -- ebay -- or where.

Oh yes! I have a pair of prints in one of my cabinets that "speak" to me every time I lay eyes on them. I added a third print about a month ago and am thinking that they are getting closer to the cutting table every day!
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    Where do you sell your fabric? I have thought about a sale at my house but afraid that people will think it is a yard sale and will want things for next to nothing. Do you sell on line -- ebay -- or where.
    No, actually I have sold twice in my home, once in Austin TX and once here in VA. Both times I advertised with a local guild and asked members to make appointments and only come no more than 3 people at a time so that I could serve them properly. Cash only accepted. I treated the sale like a quilt shop and cut yardage as requested. There were also some fat quarters available. I charged only $3 per yard for most fabrics, $.75 for fat quarters. Believe it or not, I made over $1000 dollars both times, holding the sale for about 5 days each time.

When this kind of sale is open to actual quilters, I believe you will be more successful. The people I drew were unknown to me but were, to a person, kind, friendly, and considerate. I was not at all afraid to have them in my home. They often bought more than they had originally decided on while they waited for their friends to finish up having theirs cut and paying, LOL! And they went home and told their friends about the sale!

I had some of my own quilts lying about to encourage chatting and the feeling of comradery. Those were not for sale, though I did end up with a commission from showing them.

Am thinking very seriously about doing another one in a few months and have already selected out the fabrics I'm willing to part with.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have my bins set up in my fabric closet set up to fill the entire closet. Each time I open that closet there is a set of four fabrics I bought together that calls to me to do something with it. I have gotten out that fabric many times and been stumped by what to do with it. There are others that want to play with it, but, I just can't decide.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast