Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Fabric Needs Me >

My Fabric Needs Me

My Fabric Needs Me

Old 05-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Default My Fabric Needs Me

When going through your stash looking for some fabric to make a new quilt? Do you ever have one fabric that you keep putting off making something with? I do, Every time I go through my stash looking for fabric to make a new quilt, I have this one fabric that keeps asking me if today is her turn. I keep saying not yet you are for something special. Will this fabric has been in my stash for 5 years now. So, I told her yes it's your turn. I will take you out of the closet and make something with you.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Funny you should ask..... I have been going through cabinets, drawers, and bins lately trying to get rid of those items I know I will never use. And out popped some Minion fabric that I HAD to have when it first came out. And so I thought it would make adorable pillow cases. It has been washed and ironed - just waiting for my return to my sewing room to cut and sew. (However, in the back of my mind I hear - But what about the quilt you want to make with it?)
Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM

I keep hoarding polka dots waiting for inspiration. Every once in awhile I'll want to hack into it for a piece here and there for other quilts but I don't. It's time is coming, though,mince I found a pattern. Won't make a dent in the stash but, who cares? Love me some polka dots!!
Old 05-12-2018, 01:51 PM

I have had some that just were " too pretty" for one project or another. But recently, l heard a daughter lament over the huge array of " things" she had to go through after her mom passed. And l have decided that a finished quilt made with these pretties would be much more appreciated by my non sewing children than a pile of pretty fabric.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:03 PM

YES! Those fabrics I just couldn't do without. I've decided I'd enjoy the fabric more if I got to work with it. So I've made 3 simple patterns and enjoyed looking at and petting the fabric.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:34 PM

I have some specialty fabric I bought from the designer at a quilt show. I love it but I don't know if I'll ever find a pattern that will work with it.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 PM

You are not alone...I finally used one of them to replace a picture that had faded. I know it will eventually fade, but in the meantime, I get to see it every day.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:02 AM

I was in that situation recently. I had some lovely fabric left from an art quilt I designed & finished. The fabric appealed to me so much that I bought it in all the colors the store had-red, purple, black, & light & navy blue. Some colors had big pieces left after my Doctor Who art quilt & I just kept hoarding it. Ocassionally I’d take it out, pet it, & croon, “My precious!” I decided it was silly to keep it hidden & when Mystery #19 came along it was time to use it! I used the red & both blues & I remembered how I enjoyed working with it. I’m very pleased with the look of the mystery blocks & am happy this favorite fabric will soon be on display! Don’t do like my late MIL who saved so many things for ‘some special day.’ We found so many wonderful things still with tags that she never wore or used, so she didn’t get to enjoy them at all. One item still had ‘Christmas 1953’ on the outer wrapping! It was as old as I, & never used. How sad.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:19 AM

i have a several yards I purchased on clearance when I was a new quilter. I was drawn to the line because it was named the same as one of my daughters. I have been passing it over for 6 years. I need to just start using it.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:23 AM

I have a 4 yard piece of red with small white flowers. It's been washed to remove the excess dye and then folded and put back in a drawer. I even bought the backing for it. A simple pattern would work wonderfully for it.....but alas....there it is still waiting after more than 5 years. Am I telling it "grow old with me...the best is yet to come"????