Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Fabric Needs Me >

My Fabric Needs Me

My Fabric Needs Me

Old 05-16-2018, 05:31 AM

I have 2 yards of laser printed fabric that I just can't cut up. I have to find something to do with it.

Watson
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM

I have a piece of fabric that was part of a drive by fabric drop off. It was an incredibly ugly pink linen weave fabric. I used fluid acrylic paints to "dye" it and now it is so gorgeous I can't seem to find the right way to use it. It is heavier than quilting fabric, and when I first painted it I had decided to use it in one of my art quilts, but so far I haven't been able to make myself cut it...

Rob
Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 PM

Frame it and put it up as art on your walls. You get to see it all the time, and love looking at it.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM

My case is sort of the opposite. I was gifted with some of a deceased quilter's stash. There was a lot of gloomy, unattractive prints (well, to me) from the about the 70's. I bought some bright, cheerful, modern fabrics to counteract the gloom for making scrappy quilt patterns. But-- when I choose fabric from my stash to sew, I'm constantly choosing the new pretty stuff to use, and I pass over the old stuff. It's quite an effort to keep using what I've got, rather than choosing to buy something cuter...

Last edited by givio; 05-16-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM

" drive by fabric drop off" Do we need to aware of a new craze?
Old 05-17-2018, 05:23 AM

Any fabric that I really don't care for gets put into the "Backing" tote. I've got a wide variety of fabrics from a wide range of years, and very little of it do I really not like.

This thread is what got me motivated to start using some of my border prints - and giving myself permission to use those fabrics that I love so much I'm almost afraid to use them as then I won't have them anymore! But there will always been new fabrics that I'll fall in love with too.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 AM

in the 90's I was mad about the Hoffman's black with gold ink.
I also tackled fabric dying.
And I couldn't use either type, too pretty, too much hard work with the hand dyes.

Miniature Magazine was still published then, all paper pieced patterns I think.
Well anyway, I pieced 3" embellished hearts with the Hoffman and the hand dyed as sashing, borders and backing and sent it in to one of their international quilting contests.

I can't remember now what famous quilter judge it was but the note came back with something like 'would have been a winner, but the fabrics don't go together'. Which is what I'd written about on the entry. and why I'd made it