Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Favority Mom and Pop Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-favority-mom-pop-store-t64397.html)

thelondonzoo 09-12-2010 01:03 PM

In my small, rural southern Oregon town, we have a Walmart, a Joann Fabrics, and about 30 miles south of where I live we have a mom and pop quilt store called Tater Patch Quilts. I would rather drive the 30 miles to go to TPQ than Walmart and Joann and here's why: I bought the wrong size batting from them. The package was opened, the batting was lying on my bed to air out, and then I realized my mistake. I called TPQ and asked if I could return it (expecting a no) and they happily said yes. When I went back to return the batting for a larger size, the owner not only gave me a larger size but she also forgave the $10 price difference. That would not have happened at the bigger box store. Also, the fabric selection at TPQ is amazing! Yes, most of their fabrics run about $10.99/yd but they have a huge 40% clearance room (yes, a whole room) and I found ALL the fabrics I needed for my quilt in the 40% off section. My DH was so impressed with their service that he insisted I buy $40 worth of whatever I wanted. I got fabric pencils, thread, rulers, and a pattern. The owner of the store remembered I had a daycare and asked after my kids. She also remembered I was a first time quilter and offered to help with any aspect of my quilting for free. All I had to do was come in the shop and someone would help me. You just can't find that kind of service at the big box stores.

How many of you shop at mom and pop stores even though there are big box stores available for you to shop at? Let's here it for the little guy and support small business! :thumbup:

bearisgray 09-12-2010 01:04 PM

Wow ! They definitely go above and beyond what is necessary! I hope they stay in business for a long time.

dakotamaid 09-12-2010 01:06 PM

I shop wherever I happen to be at the time. I have bought from all three and for different reasons. Really depends on what I'm making. And Yes, the customer service does vary as it does in any store. I do love my LQS though, they know me and ask after me and mine!

Quiltforme 09-12-2010 01:06 PM

What a great tribute to why we need to support our LQS I wish I had one near me. I have to rely on the internet for my orders which I hope in a way helps some LQS. Thank you for sharing your amazing experience! And cudos to hubby for insisting you spend money!!!

amma 09-12-2010 01:08 PM

What a great LQS :D:D:D I would be giving them a lot of my business too!

Candace 09-12-2010 01:23 PM

That's a great LQS you have. I'm jealous.

grammyp 09-12-2010 01:53 PM

Oh, how I miss my Mom & Pop store. It was like 3 miles from my house. Used to go in with the baby in a carriage and sit at the cutting table and have coffee. Learned a lot from everyone just sitting around and sharing. Sigh.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-12-2010 02:23 PM

Thanks for the nice post!!! :D

CarrieAnne 09-12-2010 02:31 PM

Sounds like a nice store, wish we had something like that here!

gingerella 09-12-2010 05:14 PM

I love your story !! We're retired and spend several weekends traveling around the northwest. Every time we decide to stay for a day or so, I tell my DH that I just have to go to the local quilt stores, because, as I tell him, all quilters everywhere do that in support of their local quilt stores. He rolls his eyes and plugs the address into the GPS. His question is usually "how expensive was it for you to support the LQS?" But he happily tags along with me because he also has hobbies that the "local hobby store" caters to and I tag along with him on his quests.