Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my first attempt at a rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-attempt-rag-quilt-t158269.html)

Raggiemom 10-05-2011 04:01 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you have so far.

Barb44 10-05-2011 04:32 PM

I just made one with denim but I used the light weight denim from denim shirts and dresses I got at the thrift store. It is not heavy. I just took it out of the dryer and it 'ragged' really nicely.

Sadiemae 10-05-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I made on with cotton, but now I only use flannel/and or denim.

Do you find the denim is bulky and stretches away from the other fabrics when sewing it? (should I be pinning the squares?)
only moves a little but that little will add up over a few squares

I never notice it with flannel, but the cotton one I did was all cotton so no problem.

Rhaorth 10-05-2011 04:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
oh never thought of using the thinner denim. I am using legs of jeans... since I cut them off to make bags from the upper part, I had a lot of legs left :) I would loved to had of had enough of that purple to do the whole thing with purple and black, the black is from an old shirt hehe, hopefully I have enough, if not I am sure I can find black material at the thrift store easily enough. I like using scraps, and clothing cut into pieces.

Ok got some pictures... here goes

this side I attempted at a pattern as it were, might undo and redo the postions... not sure yet..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266885[/ATTACH]

denim side was no rhyme or reason, it is just whatever squares I grabbed when sewing them together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266886[/ATTACH]

Sadiemae 10-05-2011 04:46 PM

Love the colors!

Rhaorth 10-05-2011 04:48 PM

Thank you sadiemae... stepson loves purple, other one likes red, blue and green... so this one will be centered around purples, other one, reds...

I am thinking redoing the positions, just not sure where to put them yet :)

Jazzz 10-05-2011 05:33 PM

I wouldn't worry about the pattern. I think it's fun to see it from any angle. So far, it looks great.

Eddie 10-05-2011 05:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I love rag quilts and have made several, below are some pics. I would strongly urge you to get a pair of the scissors especially made for snipping the fringe, it will be SOOO much easier on your hands and go much faster. I think the ones I got were about $18 or so and are made by Elan. Well worth the money!

Greenheron 10-05-2011 06:02 PM

Denim is SO thick when four corners come together, I'm thinking of using rectangles instead of squares and staggering them like bricks or even squares and two lengths of rectangles--anything to avoid those corners.......

Phyllis42 10-06-2011 03:50 AM

I am lucky enough to belong to a guild that has an AccuQuilt. Cut all my denim and flannel with the 8" die, which also cuts the fringe. Just have to sew on the X and stitch together.