Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first machine quilting setup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-machine-quilting-setup-t168699.html)

AshleyR 11-17-2011 12:18 PM

My first machine quilting setup

I bought a Gracie and Juki today. Well, my husband did. I haven't seen them yet. I've never quilted this way, so I'm really excited. I only have 2 quilts that need quilting! How long does it take to quilt a full/queen on a frame?

AshleyR 11-17-2011 12:58 PM

My First Machine Quilting Frame and Machine

I'm very excited to announce that I have my first machine quilting set up! My husband got it for me today and we are going to try to set it up tonight. I haven't even seen it, but I can't wait!

I thought I started this thread already, but I didn't see it, so I hope it doesn't end up double-posting!

leatheflea 11-17-2011 01:03 PM

It depends on how dense your quilting and weather or not your doing a custom or panto. I quilt with mid arm(15) and do alot of custom work. It takes me about 40 plus hours per queen quilt. I can do an all over pattern in about 2 hours. Its not as easy as it looks, takes practice for most people, and then there's the born natural quilters, I'm not one of those. Congrats on your new toy! Have fun!

sandy l 11-17-2011 01:03 PM

what kind of frame and machine did you get? I have a Voyager 17 with a Hinterberg floor frame. But whatever you have, you'll have fun.

AshleyR 11-17-2011 01:08 PM

Thank you!
I don't even know what panto is. This is all very very new to me!

AshleyR 11-17-2011 01:13 PM

The frame is a Gracie. I don't know which model yet. The machine is a Juki tl-98e.
My husband says they're really nice lol!

QuiltnNan 11-17-2011 02:19 PM

congrats on your new frame setup. i would not rush to put the quilt on. i would sandwich a practice piece. i still have my practice piece to remind me of my progress :)

DebbyT 11-17-2011 02:38 PM

I have a Gracie II, with a Brother 1500s. The machine is appx the same size as yours. I agree with QuiltnNan. Practice on something small first. My first practice was a queen size and that was a real challenge, and a mistake. - It will take longer to complete a quilt than someone using a machine with a longer throat. Since we only have about a 9" throat and with the quilt rolling up that leaves about a 6 1/2" playing field to start. Depending on the length and thickness of your batting, that playing field will decrease to about 4". You will find yourself rolling the quilt more often. I love my machine and frame, but a longer thoat would allow for larger continuous designs. Have fun and enjoy!

AshleyR 11-17-2011 06:21 PM

Thanks all! We spent 3 hours on the frame, still haven't gotten it all together. I have it as small as it will go (crib size). I did get to push the carriage around some, and it's not as smooth and glide-y as I thought. I will have lots of fun practicing (that's art, right?) before I get to those big quilts!

Jingle 11-17-2011 07:20 PM

Good luck and practice, I don't have a long arm set up, no room. I FMQ on either my Juki TL 98QE or Babylock Jane.