Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first machine quilting setup

Blog Entries

My first machine quilting setup

I bought a Gracie and Juki today. Well, my husband did. I haven't seen them yet. I've never quilted this way, so I'm really excited. I only have 2 quilts that need quilting! How long does it take to quilt a full/queen on a frame?

Blog Entries

My First Machine Quilting Frame and Machine

I'm very excited to announce that I have my first machine quilting set up! My husband got it for me today and we are going to try to set it up tonight. I haven't even seen it, but I can't wait!

I thought I started this thread already, but I didn't see it, so I hope it doesn't end up double-posting!

It depends on how dense your quilting and weather or not your doing a custom or panto. I quilt with mid arm(15) and do alot of custom work. It takes me about 40 plus hours per queen quilt. I can do an all over pattern in about 2 hours. Its not as easy as it looks, takes practice for most people, and then there's the born natural quilters, I'm not one of those. Congrats on your new toy! Have fun!

Blog Entries
    what kind of frame and machine did you get? I have a Voyager 17 with a Hinterberg floor frame. But whatever you have, you'll have fun.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!
    I don't even know what panto is. This is all very very new to me!

Blog Entries
    The frame is a Gracie. I don't know which model yet. The machine is a Juki tl-98e.
    My husband says they're really nice lol!

Blog Entries
    congrats on your new frame setup. i would not rush to put the quilt on. i would sandwich a practice piece. i still have my practice piece to remind me of my progress
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I have a Gracie II, with a Brother 1500s. The machine is appx the same size as yours. I agree with QuiltnNan. Practice on something small first. My first practice was a queen size and that was a real challenge, and a mistake. - It will take longer to complete a quilt than someone using a machine with a longer throat. Since we only have about a 9" throat and with the quilt rolling up that leaves about a 6 1/2" playing field to start. Depending on the length and thickness of your batting, that playing field will decrease to about 4". You will find yourself rolling the quilt more often. I love my machine and frame, but a longer thoat would allow for larger continuous designs. Have fun and enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Thanks all! We spent 3 hours on the frame, still haven't gotten it all together. I have it as small as it will go (crib size). I did get to push the carriage around some, and it's not as smooth and glide-y as I thought. I will have lots of fun practicing (that's art, right?) before I get to those big quilts!

Good luck and practice, I don't have a long arm set up, no room. I FMQ on either my Juki TL 98QE or Babylock Jane.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Congrats on the new addition. Good luck with the art!
    Linda

I recently got a mid arm with frame, and to practice I used 2 old twin sheets with a thin blanket as batting. I was able to
    purchase these at estate sales very cheap. I tried all different patterns on them and really enjoyed getting to know my
    machine. Once I completed it I was so happy with the mixed up patterns that I put a binding on it and have it as my
    first whole fabric quilt. Enjoy your machine!

Quote Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
    I recently got a mid arm with frame, and to practice I used 2 old twin sheets with a thin blanket as batting. I was able to
    purchase these at estate sales very cheap. I tried all different patterns on them and really enjoyed getting to know my
    machine. Once I completed it I was so happy with the mixed up patterns that I put a binding on it and have it as my
    first whole fabric quilt. Enjoy your machine!
    Good idea on the 'whole quilt' concept for practice. I have had my Avante 18 for almost a year. I can knock out a full/queen in about 2.5 hours AFTER the time spent pinning it into place. That's a free motion meandering pattern (my own loops/circles design). You have to get comfortable with the machine and develop your own rythm Look up pantographs and continuous designs online for some education on what's available out there. Have fun!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    A few months ago I stumbled onto this site it was about midnight and I was about ready to go to bed, but someone was talking about using velcro to fasten their quilt into the frame instead of all the safty pins. I was tired and I thought I saved the site but have never been able to find it again. I rushed right out the next day and bought a huge roll of velcro but that is a far as I have gotten. Does anyone know how to do this? I assume you would sew one side of the velcro to the leader on the frame, but would you sew the other to the quilt top, backing ??? The person was talking about something she had done wrong and was so glad she had used velcro and not pins, because with the velcro it was so easy to correct. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    I cannot get over how big this is! Even on the crib-size, without the extensions, it takes up most of the little room it's in! I'm hoping that it will fit from corner to corner if I need to put in the extensions!!
    I like to use iron-on pictures and then "paint" them with fabric markers and use them for practice! So much fun! And in the end, a great little wall hanging!!
    I'll look up the velcro tip, Sonya, because that seems like a pretty good idea! If I find it, I'll let you know!

congrats and good luck!
    Carol

I have a similar set-up that I learned to "mid-arm" quilt on. There are lots of factors as to how long it will take you to do a quilt. I found that my JukiTL98Q was picky about thread. The best thread combination was Superior KingTut on top and masterpiece or SoFine on the bottom and being sure that the thread tension was good. If you need help with thread tension watch Jamie Wallen's video on YouTube. Also be sure that everything is level. You use your whole body with your upper arms kind of locked into your sides, but you have to be loose as well. Pam Clark has a lot of good videos on www.thequiltingschool.com. I found I was better at free-motion rather than pantos. Practice, practice, practice. Do lots of small practice pieces. It's really scarey when you do that first quilt that you spent so much time making and worrying you are going to screw up. I would pick something with a busy fabric that you can do free motion on and pick a thread that matches your fabric, so if you do mess up a little it won't show. I got a lot of confidence quilting on this system, and was no longer intimidated to go and test-drive the real long arms. Yeah! and I just bought a long-arm! Good luck and let your creativity flow!

Blog Entries
    THank you for the links. I am having a hard time finding "how to" on the internet! I guess most people know what they're doing when they buy it or buy it from a shop with lessons. Did you sell your mid arm? How do you know if a machine is picky about thread?
    We should be able to finish putting it together tonight. I can't decide if I want to go thriftstore shopping tomorrow (It's the monthly half off weekend!) or stay home and play?

Congrads on the new set-up. Show some pics when you geta chance. I have a Phaff Grand when they first came out, i only do my own quilts with a loop-d-loo all over, but do a practice piece first to get to know your machine. Have Fun and relax and it helps make it smooth!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Practice, Practice Pratice. Show us pics!

I have had a midarm, a longarm and a new longarm. My one recommendation is for you to buy some muslin (or twin sheets at Walmart - $5.00 each) and some cheap batting and PRACTICE before you put a quilt top on. They take practice....I still do that and I've quilted over 1 1/2 yrs. I practice different designs.......I practice basic meandering at first. Now, I draw a block on or a sashing -- to size of the quilt I'm going to do and practice the design first.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    I finally got it up. I have some cheap cotton fabric I was going to use as leaders and it says to be sure and cut them square, using a rotary cutter. Well, I don't have a rotary cutter. Would it be safe to tear it instead??

remember practice practice pratice and patience patience patience

It is a lot harder than I thought to learn.
    I have ruined two practice quilts on mine.
    Pantos are imposible since I dont know how to stabilize the sides of the quilt. You cant see where you are going and the needle can get stuck on the edges of the quilt. Since there is such a small sewing area sewing down the sides just dosnt work.
    Use the velcro on the edges of your leaders that hold the quilt in place. That way your leaders stay attached to the frame and you pull the velcro off the quilt instead of useing pins. My frame is an Imperial and the leaders are attached with plastic tubes that go trough a hem on the leader then into a grove in the rod. This part stays in place and the velcro is on the other end of the leader that holds the quilt.
    There is so much to learn and I havnt had the time to really practice a lot. Sure wish I had a long arm machine as the short arm is so limited. Cant do indevidual block patterns because the area to quilt is so small. My frame has such a large size rod it leaves around a 4 in area to quilt. I bought a 4 in wide ruler and now mark lines across my quilt so I dont go to far and run out of room.

I would not tear it. Lay it on the floor or somewhere you can lay out the entire length. Then measure and mark the needed length. You will want to finish the raw edge with either a hem or surge. You could use the raw edge to attach to the rods but you should still at least turn the raw edge under once or use a surging type stitch so it won't unravel. Remember, your fabric will have the 2 edges that are not raw. - When I got my Gracie II, the leaders were attached. The edges appeared to be finished with a surger. I think I attached a pic. I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast