Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first machine quilting setup >

My first machine quilting setup

My first machine quilting setup

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM

I have had a midarm, a longarm and a new longarm. My one recommendation is for you to buy some muslin (or twin sheets at Walmart - $5.00 each) and some cheap batting and PRACTICE before you put a quilt top on. They take practice....I still do that and I've quilted over 1 1/2 yrs. I practice different designs.......I practice basic meandering at first. Now, I draw a block on or a sashing -- to size of the quilt I'm going to do and practice the design first.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:01 AM

I finally got it up. I have some cheap cotton fabric I was going to use as leaders and it says to be sure and cut them square, using a rotary cutter. Well, I don't have a rotary cutter. Would it be safe to tear it instead??
Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 AM

remember practice practice pratice and patience patience patience
Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 AM

It is a lot harder than I thought to learn.
I have ruined two practice quilts on mine.
Pantos are imposible since I dont know how to stabilize the sides of the quilt. You cant see where you are going and the needle can get stuck on the edges of the quilt. Since there is such a small sewing area sewing down the sides just dosnt work.
Use the velcro on the edges of your leaders that hold the quilt in place. That way your leaders stay attached to the frame and you pull the velcro off the quilt instead of useing pins. My frame is an Imperial and the leaders are attached with plastic tubes that go trough a hem on the leader then into a grove in the rod. This part stays in place and the velcro is on the other end of the leader that holds the quilt.
There is so much to learn and I havnt had the time to really practice a lot. Sure wish I had a long arm machine as the short arm is so limited. Cant do indevidual block patterns because the area to quilt is so small. My frame has such a large size rod it leaves around a 4 in area to quilt. I bought a 4 in wide ruler and now mark lines across my quilt so I dont go to far and run out of room.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 AM

I would not tear it. Lay it on the floor or somewhere you can lay out the entire length. Then measure and mark the needed length. You will want to finish the raw edge with either a hem or surge. You could use the raw edge to attach to the rods but you should still at least turn the raw edge under once or use a surging type stitch so it won't unravel. Remember, your fabric will have the 2 edges that are not raw. - When I got my Gracie II, the leaders were attached. The edges appeared to be finished with a surger. I think I attached a pic. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone! I got the leaders on. I bought sheets at the thrift store.... Oh, I still have to level it, because my floor goes downhill...!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 AM

I don't know if anyone is following this thread or not. But I HATE the frame. It's back on Craigslist and will be in every garage sale in the neighborhood until I'm rid of it.
I do like the machine and will be keeping it for FMQ.