Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Viking Sapphire and Free Motion Quilting setup

Blog Entries
    Ok, so now that I've been successfully using my Viking Sapphire 830 for piecing and quilting with the walking foot, I'm trying to figure out why I'm not having any luck with free motion quilting. I've tried 3 different feet (2 with springs and 1 without) and followed the instructions in the book as far as setting it up, but I just can't get it right. After a few inches of stitching the top thread tightens up so much it snaps the needle. I've already broken 3 needles just by practicing. I unthread/rethread both the top and bottom. Have tried numerous thread weights in both the top and bottom. I even created a sample fabric sandwich and wrote on the fabric what I was using for threads so that I could compare all when done. It seems I can use any thread combination for straight/decorative stitching. But nothing is working for the free motion. So, I'm thinking that either I am not doing something right when I set it up, or there is a design flaw. It's kind of upsetting after spending nearly $1000 on a machine for quilting that doesn't want to quilt.

I was wondering if anyone with a Sapphire is having better luck with free motion than me and what you might be doing differently that I need to try. I am going back to the dealer on Friday, but in the meantime, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a Sapphire 830 and I was TRYING to do some FMQ. My first problem is that even though I move the slider on the front to lower the fed dogs, it still won't let the material move freely.

You say there is directions somewhere? In the book that came with the machine or on the CD?

Blog Entries
    Just basic setup in the user guide. I couldn't get the cd to work. I even bought a Supreme Slider hoping that would help.

I was getting much more comfortable with free motion on my old Viking...I was sad to see it go when it died. I'm hoping I don't regret purchasing this one. I really want to be able to do free motion. I don't want to feel limited by just stitch in the ditch or decorative stitches.

If where you bought it have knowledgeable people then maybe they know. I got mine at the Viking dealer inside Joann's and I haven't been back for classes. Actually now that I think about it, when I asked about the classes they said they had, I was told they haven't started them yet.

I'll have to find out. What type of walking foot do you have? I see so many online that I'm not sure which is right. What type of FM foot?

I also have the sapphire 830 but dont have a problem with free motion.
    I use Coats and Clark good thread and it works just fine.
    My top setting is on 5 and I leave the other settings as they are.
    Be sure and only use the green bobbins.
    It came with a couple of FM feet and they work fine also.
    I have found that the thread holder should be horizontal not upright, it puts more tension on the thread and it wants to break. I have used invisable thread and so far it works fine. breaks once in a while.
    Sometimes I adjust the stitch length just to see if it makes it easier but it dosnt seem to make any difference.
    And of course set the feed dogs in the down position.
    Make sure to clean out the bobbin case regularly it makes a big difference. I use a hand held vacumm it works well.
    Sometimes even though I tread the machine right it just wants to be threaded again then works fine.

Blog Entries
    I opted not to buy mine at the dealer inside Joann's because, well, they are just plain snooty to me. Maybe I don't look like someone who'd spend that much on a machine, but that's no reason to be like that...anyone can be a potential customer. I bought from another dealer that is closer to home (Joann's is closer to my work). The one I bought from offers unlimited "know your machine" classes; Joann's offerd 2 classes.

I have an open toe foot with spring, metal horseshoe shaped (my favorite with the old machine); clear foot on a spring,maybe about 3/4" square w/rounded corners; and the R foot that came with the new machine. The first 2 I bought online at http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page63.html.

I downloaded instructions from:
    http://www.husqvarnaviking.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I also have the sapphire 830 but dont have a problem with free motion.
    I use Coats and Clark good thread and it works just fine.
    My top setting is on 5 and I leave the other settings as they are.
    Be sure and only use the green bobbins.
    It came with a couple of FM feet and they work fine also.
    I have found that the thread holder should be horizontal not upright, it puts more tension on the thread and it wants to break. I have used invisable thread and so far it works fine. breaks once in a while.
    Sometimes I adjust the stitch length just to see if it makes it easier but it dosnt seem to make any difference.
    And of course set the feed dogs in the down position.
    Make sure to clean out the bobbin case regularly it makes a big difference. I use a hand held vacumm it works well.
    Sometimes even though I tread the machine right it just wants to be threaded again then works fine.
    I do only use the green bobbins (with the viking logo). I've tried the thread both ways and didn't notice much difference, but will be sure to try it again with the thread horizontal and see if that helps. Most of my thread is Coats and Clark. I did buy some finer thread and it works great for decorative stitches. How long have you had your machine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I downloaded instructions from:
    http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/mediafiles
    It says denied - I can't access! Do you have a pdf of this?

I had to change the address for viking to its main page to get it to work.
    The videos are there you will just have to search for them since my long trail did not work.
    I have had my machine for about 2 yrs. I love it except for the fact that the top of the machine just sits to low to get your hand under to change needles etc.

I guiss the machine is to old for them to still have the videos.
    I put sapphire in the search space and it came up with 22 pages of info but the trail from my video did not come up with a video. It was on page 21.
    The video shows how to use the buttons for stitchs. I have it in my real player.

Blog Entries
    I found this...is this what you were referring to? http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/media...ire_all_en.asp

I'm heading down to try it now exactly as they show. Wish me luck!

Yes, that is it.

Blog Entries
    That was much better! I guess it works best with the R foot and in the floating mode. Strange foot...no opening in front. I am not quite sure what to do with the threads to keep them out of the way. What do you do with them?

I still have some trouble with the top thread breaking, but not as bad and didn't break a needle this time! I wonder if there is some thread jammed in there? I did pull a piece out, hope I got it all.

Any idea how to take the front cover off to check it? Or is that too tricky to do?

I have the Sapphire 835 and I do lots of quilting; its a new machine to me; I have no trouble doing the free motion quilting if I use the 80/12 needle; coats & Clarks quilting and piecing threads which are a 35wt blend - my problem that I would live input on is how do you do free motion with other threads; for instance I just bought a set of the Rowan threads - a lovely color range and weight of thread and I want to do some "art" quilting with them but the thread breaks constantantly. I have tried several tension settings and different needles and can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone use heavier threads for quilting with this machine free motion and have any suggestions? Thank you.

How do you change the needle setting for 1/4 piece on the Viking Sapphire 835

Blog Entries
    I have the sapphire 875 and I found if I do not use their free motion settings I have better results. I drop my feeddogs and just leave it on the reg stitch and off I go :lol:

Thank you! I shut off the stitch width safety settings. Now I amble to change the stitches.

working on a scrappy UFO behind my Viking
    Blog Entries
    I have a Viking Sapphire 835. I was never able to get it to work like I wanted it to, when the feed dogs were down (I have read the manual). So now I quilt everything with the walking foot (which was $119), and leave the feeddogs up. I need to quilting with a machine, but I'm getting better. If I could change things, I would have bought a Brother or Janome.

This is an old thread, but i wanted to mention this:
    http://www.google.com/m/url?client=s...e=UTF-8&q=http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142730-1.htm&te=8&ved=0CBoQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEF2wmJe4Zp6YEF8gDD6SYN0MfuuQ
    See the spool of coats and clarks thread, upright, in my photo? I broke needle after needle (more than 50... A real horror show) before i figure out that the c and c thread spool is too darn heavy for my machine to spin or turn. I attached a thread support wire, about 12", high to my machine, and that problem was fixed. I am not sure what the proper name for that support device is, but look above the 4 cones of thread on a serger, and you will find four of them.

Also- there is a huge benefit to single stitch only machines for FMQ. i am saving my pennies and looking for a vintage singer with a huge throat.

Blog Entries
    I didn't have much luck with the R foot that came with mine. I like the spring foot much better! And you have to be careful with the settings to select free motion SPRING on the menu.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northernshow View Post
    How do you change the needle setting for 1/4 piece on the Viking Sapphire 835
    The way I do it: Press stitch menu and go to the right one space and push ok; then I enter 10 and the needle moves to the right for 1/4 inch seam allowance. Hope this helps.
    quilting with my dogs

Did you get Husqvarna 830 working correctly?

Hello Ladies,
    I was troubleshooting about my feed dogs not remaining switched off and saw your problem, Katier825. Did you ever get the problem taken care of. Gosh, I hope so. Terrible waste of valuable dollars. I had quite a problem, back when, Joann's sent it off and the repair (free) made a world of difference. It took about two months to get it back. The feed dog problem though, kind of hard to free motion quilt. It seem to be working and then it started switching back on all by itself causing great difficulty to maneuver the fabric.

You might try putting your thread on a vertical spool holder, that you put behind your machine. Whenever we get a machine that only has a horizontal spool pin, we sew it off with a vertical spool holder, because the thread always feeds so much better that way. Here's a picture http://www.knitandsew.co.uk/Prym+Con...74/PRPN952.htm
    Annette in Utah

Blog Entries
    I have a Sapphire 850 and have Fmq about 15 or more quilts on it. Right now having problems with thread shredding. Originally bought 50$ spring foot. The bar sat over the needle screw and hammered til it eventually broke. I switched to the embroidery foot on free motion mode and it worked great. Paid over 100.00 to fix thread breaking, still doesn't work right. My feed dogs also had trouble creeping up. Manual says when you go into fmg mode they (feed dogs) will be automatically set. Mine never lowered except manually. When it works, great when not grrrrr. So frustrated.