Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
katier825

Ok, so now that I've been successfully using my Viking Sapphire 830 for piecing and quilting with the walking foot, I'm trying to figure out why I'm not having any luck with free motion quilting. I've tried 3 different feet (2 with springs and 1 without) and followed the instructions in the book as far as setting it up, but I just can't get it right. After a few inches of stitching the top thread tightens up so much it snaps the needle. I've already broken 3 needles just by practicing. I unthread/rethread both the top and bottom. Have tried numerous thread weights in both the top and bottom. I even created a sample fabric sandwich and wrote on the fabric what I was using for threads so that I could compare all when done. It seems I can use any thread combination for straight/decorative stitching. But nothing is working for the free motion. So, I'm thinking that either I am not doing something right when I set it up, or there is a design flaw. It's kind of upsetting after spending nearly $1000 on a machine for quilting that doesn't want to quilt.

I was wondering if anyone with a Sapphire is having better luck with free motion than me and what you might be doing differently that I need to try. I am going back to the dealer on Friday, but in the meantime, any advice would be greatly appreciated!