Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My First Stain Glass Quilt - Best Way to FMQ it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-stain-glass-quilt-best-way-fmq-t280010.html)

Shelby 06-29-2016 09:45 AM

I think it might be Asian Scrappy Road, very pretty!

jlm5419 06-29-2016 10:01 AM

It's beautiful. Anything you quilt on it will work. :)

littlebitoheaven 06-29-2016 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 7589582)
I have no idea on quilting as I send mine out to be quilted all the time but wanted to compliment you on a beautiful quilt. Love your batiks. Would you share the name of the pattern?

Jordan! I don't know the name of this pattern. (It is similar to the one mentioned in Shelby's post. Here are some directions for what I did. Let me know if you need anything else or if something does not make sense.

The block finishes up at 9 inches. The black sashing/border is cut at 1 1/2 inches (finishes at 1 inch). Okay! Cut a 6 1/2 inch squares, sew them onto one of your black strips (one after the other), cut them apart, press to black and then cut black strips to match 6 1/2-inch squares. Then cut a 2 1/2-inch by 6 1/2-inch rectangle (or you may use 2 1/2 inch already cut strips cut into 6 1/2-inch rectangles of assorted colors). Now sew this piece (block-black strip-rectangle) onto another black strip. Next, cut 2 1/2-inch x 9 1/2-inch strip. Sew this to the black side of your piece. This is the 9 1/2-inch unfinished block. I put my blocks in rows on my design wall checking colors. I did 6 rows of 5 blocks. I did them all and then started sewing on the black sashing between the blocks. When all rows have sashing and blocks are sewn into rows, sew a black strip between each row, sew rows together. Now all you have to do is sew the black strips to top, bottom and each side. I have decided to do another border but it is not necessary.

todiesmom 06-30-2016 03:54 AM

thanks for info...I love this quilt...I have lots of Batik scraps and plan to make this soon...you make it sound so easy in your tute...

Kris P 06-30-2016 04:05 AM

I would probably FMQ flowers and loops all over. It would be much faster than SITD and doing a separate motif in every large square.

ctyankee 06-30-2016 04:07 AM

Beautiful quilt! It's on my bucket list!

quilterpurpledog 06-30-2016 04:31 AM

The batiks look so pretty in your stained glass quilt. They just complement the pattern beautifully. I like Tartan's idea for adding quilting to the large squares. I do like the similar but smaller pattern in the red squares. What about making the larger motif in some of the squares and the smaller and multiple flowers in some of the squares? I do think adding quilting to those squares would add dimension that would be beautiful.

btiny36 06-30-2016 04:49 AM

This truly a beautiful quilt...I like tartan's idea...also do like I do and check out pinterest.

Roberta 06-30-2016 05:10 AM

Your quilt is just stunning. I just love it and might try something like that myself.

Friday1961 06-30-2016 07:33 AM

Beautiful! The fabrics look like actual glass, as if you can almost see through them. No suggestions on the quilting but think the flower template is a great idea.