Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My goddaughter is marrying a senator! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-goddaughter-marrying-senator-t259768.html)

MargeD 01-17-2015 10:58 AM

Since it's a wedding gift, I would make the quilt in your Goddaughter's favorite colors, as you don't have to sleep under it. I've often made quilts for others in some of my not so favorite colors and they have turned out to be unique and beautiful quilts.

bigredharley 01-17-2015 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7050411)
I would ask her the colors she'll be using to decorate the room (check her registry for color and style of bedding and linens she has already chosen). Even someone (like me) who likes bright colors in her wardrobe might prefer muted tones for the bedroom. It's too much work and money invested to risk it not being in colors she (and he) prefer.

I agree - you want it to be seen so the colors of her bedroom or guest room. And congrats on the wedding

quiltingcandy 01-17-2015 11:18 AM

My first thought was - just ask her what she wants. And if she can't tell you what she would like then consider doing a Christmas quilt. Room colors change, but for the most part Christmas does not.

quiltingshorttimer 01-17-2015 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 7050056)
Can you find out what colors HE likes and then make one they can both enjoy?

I did this for my son and DIL--a king size green, black tan, blue (him) and violet and teal (her) Jinny Beyer bargello---it was great and made both happy(although the DIL thought maybe I could leave out the tan--my son had to explain that the light color was needed to make the pattern--a quilter's child for sure!)---all total 23 different fabrics.

disijudy 01-17-2015 06:43 PM

You're not making it for the state! I'd go with the couple's favorite colors, like you would for anybody else.

earthwalker 01-17-2015 06:52 PM

This lovely girl will need to be strong to remain true to herself and not get swamped with the expectations of others....do the quilt in whatever she wants....and do the back in something a little neutral/masculine as a nod to her husband to be.

luvstoquilt301 01-17-2015 08:03 PM

Fall colors are also pretty. When my son got married I asked his wife for colors---NOT a pattern. She said she liked jewel tones. I used black for the background and she loved it. Sadly the marriage did not last and she kept the quilt...lol. But I really liked her so just made my son another one for him.

justflyingin 01-17-2015 11:27 PM

I would ask her what she wants. It is simply too much work and expense to not be appreciated.

Veinurse 01-18-2015 11:49 AM

Thank you for all your help. This couple is so grounded that it just being a handmade quilt will be appreciated. I just want something that they will be proud to have in their home, no matter who comes to visit. Her mom said to keep it a surprise and she too likes the Irish Chain with the multicolored Batiks ideas. And I'll keep the back neutral.

I was anxious and now am excited to get going. Ah, should I tell you I have batiks in most of the colors?

Onebyone 01-18-2015 05:43 PM

I would make it in her favorite colors. She will always like it no matter what bed it covers later on.