Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My husband is looking for a mental institution for me ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-husband-looking-mental-institution-me-t243632.html)

Sandygirl 03-22-2014 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 6637990)
I have one of those, he is an enabler!! Course I don't say much about his 3 motorcycles either! :)

Oh yea. Their hobbies are expensive too! 2 boats, 2 motorcycles, old Suburban, old Westphalia, old van, yadda yadda yadda...tinker tinker tinker...bleh! I never feel guilty...i feel entitled! My machines take up kess space and never need repairs.

Sandy

rakerlm 03-22-2014 05:08 AM

Think about a 6 needle Brother or Babylock. They are work horses and have a large hoop that is 200x300 mm. I quilt on mine, do appliqués etc. They are wonderful machines and you can frequently find a used machine that is in great shape for less money than a new single machine.

BettyGee 03-22-2014 05:09 AM

After fifty years my DH has resigned himself to the fact that I'm a total nut when it comes to quilting and sewing. He has been very supportive and is the best at picking colors; he still doesn't understand "stash." I have three machines and a serger and while a long arm would be heaven I think at this point in my life and the fact that I probably should be in a home for deranged quilters, I'm not going to "rock the boat."

Lavada 03-22-2014 05:09 AM

Ladies just appreciate your husbands my husband passed away 12 years ago and I quilt because he encouraged my hobby and he loved to give my quilts as gifts

jbj137 03-22-2014 06:07 AM

*** Tell him you want to go to the Quilters Institute for Talented People.
*** Maybe he will think it is for Crazy people.

juliea9967 03-22-2014 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Anyway, does anyone have either the Creative Performance or Creative Sensation? I would love to know just how useful the larger embroidery area might be for quilting. :D"

Yes - I have the Creative Sensation and I absolutely love it. It is a "perfect" machine as far as I am concerned. The larger embroidery area, with the 350mm x 360mm hoop is very helpful. I have made some beautiful 18" pillows using this hoop, and have also used it to quilt many times, too. It is an awesome machine. I have never quilted a king size quilt on it using embroidery and don't have any desire to, but I have heard from people who have. I have used the large size embroidery hoop to embroider designs on fabric and then made large quilts out of them. Here is a picture of one of them. I was able to embroidery each of the blocks, except for the middle one, in one hooping.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468452[/ATTACH]
After I had all the blocks put together, I had it quilted by a long arm quilter.
If I was really interested in a machine to quilt my finished quilts I would not consider any embroidery machine. I would look for an actual quilting machine. However, for everything else, I would definitely buy the Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro.

Caswews 03-22-2014 06:16 AM

LOL when I bought the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 he thought I was off my rocker .. LOL What you paid that much for it ? Why ?
Well when he found out I was looking for an LA He about stroked at the price ! LOL OH well I don't say anything about how much he puts into his hobbies .. LOL

LITTLEOLDME 03-22-2014 06:30 AM

My husband bought me a 10 needle embroidery machine last year, motive , he's leaning to digitize his tractors, fire trucks and all kinds of man toys that he wants on hats and jackets. in the mean time I get to do lots of my pretties.

Onebyone 03-22-2014 07:50 AM

My best friends all have DH's that don't have to be included in every buying decision and we impulse buy a lot when we are together. I don't understand when I read a post that says My DH let me buy. I could never be that wifey. LOL

Skratchie 03-22-2014 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6639244)
My best friends all have DH's that don't have to be included in every buying decision and we impulse buy a lot when we are together. I don't understand when I read a post that says My DH let me buy. I could never be that wifey. LOL

When we're talking about a machine that costs several thousand dollars, it's a mutual decision. I don't decide to spend $5000 without talking about it with him first, just as he doesn't go out and spend thousands on a new bike without talking it over with me. That said, I haven't seen anyone here say that their husband "let" them buy anything ...