Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Latest Acquisition - Really kind of Sad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-latest-acquisition-really-kind-sad-t65180.html)

jrhboxers 09-17-2010 04:51 AM

I didn't want to highjack PKitty1 'Disappointed' post, so I started this new thread. The first part is from my original response to that thread.

Kathy (Quilts With Convicts) I have never heard of Quilter's Home. That sounds just what I have been looking for. I found seven (!!7!!) boxes of quilting magazines and misc. things. I am planning on listing them for sale - cheap on here - but of course I have to go through them first for me.

I agree with the comment about designs that are for a specific fabric line. When I cruise through I look at the picture of their finished project, but always go directly to the layout that shows the blocks and layout. I might not find a lot of 'new' patterns, but block combinations, colors and secondary patterns that come out. And I always love when the show the same pattern in an alternatve color scheme. Some are really surprising.

I volunteer with our Friends of the Library, so when a quilter dies we usually end up with their collections which is really sad. From the stuff that I just got, you can learn a lot about the woman who had them. I have decided that she loved traditional quilts - not artsy quilts - had both an embroidery machine and a longarm. Unfortunately I did not have a chance at any of her equipment. She loved her craft and was very proficent. I did find two quilt diaries in her things. I was able to get in contact with a family member but they were not interested in having them back. How sad that they seem to have no interest in something that she truly loved. Truly a loss.

I will be listing the magazines and other things on here shortly, if anyone is interested. I have issues of:
~ Designs in Machine Embroidery ~
~ Creative Machine Embroidery ~
~ Quilter Magazine ~
~ McCall's Quilting ~
~ Quilter's World ~
~ Quilter's Newsletter Magazine ~
~ American Patchwork & Quilting ~

I also have some Bernina booklets, presser feet with their appropriate manuals, accessories and other stuff.

All of the proceeds with go to The Friends of the Library. All monies raised pay for special purchases for the libraries, support of the Summer Reading Program, equipment replacement, etc. With the across-the-board budget cuts everyone is experiencing, lots of good projects would disappear without our funds.

I am also working on a quilt that will be raffled off for The Friends. In these many boxes, I have found several fat quarters, so those will now be incorporated into the raffle quilt. I think she would have like that.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-17-2010 05:31 AM

Diaries are fascinating. Wow, can't believe the family doesn't want them :(

DebraK 09-17-2010 05:33 AM

I once asked my husband what he would do with my stuff if I passed before him. He told me he would take up quilting. Now I know why he likes to go fabic shopping with me.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-17-2010 05:36 AM

I keep telling my 3 sons that they need to marry quilters so they can have all my stuff when I'm gone ha ha ha

LindaR 09-17-2010 05:47 AM

my DD will watch what happens to mine...DH could give a rip LOL

Jamiestitcher62 09-17-2010 06:01 AM

Between collecting cross stitch patterns and kitting them up for the last 25 years and now quilting, I've told my son not to throw anything away until he has checked with the local cross stitch shop or quilt shop. I could start my own store.

JenniePenny 09-17-2010 06:51 AM

It is sad when the family doesn't quilt or sew, but, I firmly believe that quilters would rather that other quilters get their stuff versus someone throwing it away.

When my MIL (a quilter and my quilting mentor) passed away, yes, I got many of her things with the family's blessings. But I also went on a quilt retreat with many of her friends and brought tons of fabric with me to pass around. You know what these remarkable ladies did? They picked their favorites, and then each made a "Colleen Square" and hung the square above their posts for the weekend as a tribute. It was lovely. They all kept their squares to then incorporate somehow into a new project.

Emma S 09-17-2010 06:59 AM

I can't think of anything I would rather have happen then to pass my stuff on to a group or a person that would truly enjoy it. I am still holding out hope that I can "convert" someone but if not I hope I make this board under a heading of "Look what I/We got today".

amandasgramma 09-17-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I keep telling my 3 sons that they need to marry quilters so they can have all my stuff when I'm gone ha ha ha

I told my daughter the same thing......she said "wow, I'll have tons to deliver to thrift store"!!!! I have 2 children, hubby has 3...not a ONE of them, including spouses, sews! My good friends will probably get my "stuff" :mrgreen:

kwhite 09-17-2010 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I once asked my husband what he would do with my stuff if I passed before him. He told me he would take up quilting. Now I know why he likes to go fabic shopping with me.

Why wait until you are gone. I would love it DH would sew with me.