Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My least favorite thing..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-least-favorite-thing-t85157.html)

BevD 12-25-2010 05:58 PM

I use a very large basting stitch by hand. Takes about 45 mins to an hour to baste a queen size quilt, never had a problem with movement either. I start with a + basting line then a X and baste in between these markings...easy and easier to remove!!

JoAnnGC 12-25-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I hate pins! Love the spray baste. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. You may never go back to pins. :)

Ditto...spray basting is waaaayyyy better and sooooooo much easier and faster!

Jerudy 12-25-2010 06:04 PM

At one of my quilt classes, one woman had her husband take a wooden dow and put a screw, not tightened all the way on the end of it, it worked better than the kwick clip, alot less expensive.

quiltsRfun 12-25-2010 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I've also heard of using a grapefruit spoon. But I've never tried it. I use the bigger pins. I find them easier to work with.

I use a grapefruit spoon. Works pretty good for me.

Cyn 12-25-2010 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
Kwik Klip is the tool and JoAnn's has them.
you can actually use a grapefruit spoon if necessary. the "teeth" on the edge work well on holding the pin until you close it.

I love mine but have found the spoon works good too. I'm using pinmoors now.

theoldgraymare 12-25-2010 06:23 PM

I couldn't pin my quilts without my Kwik Klip.

thepolyparrot 12-25-2010 07:20 PM

I use the Quik Clip for basting with a fabric tagging gun. I put the needle in, pick up 1/8" of the backing and come back up through the top, slide the Quik Clip under the needle and pull the trigger. Takes a lot longer to describe it than to do it. :)

I use the 1/4" long barbs and the gun/barbs made for fine fabrics and I can baste a queen size quilt in about 15 or 20 minutes - about 2 hours less than it takes with pins.

I LOVE fusible batts - you don't have to use pins or barbs at all, but I still use some, just to keep the strain off of the glue bond. The fusible glue washes out after a couple of launderings and the quilt is soft and drape-y.

The fusible batts are especially good when you have bought a quilt top that isn't well pieced or hasn't been properly pressed during its assembly.

With a steam iron and fusible batting, you can just about beat those "bad quilts" into submission. Costs a few bucks more, but worth it for the lessened frustration factor. :)

maryb44662 12-25-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
As a newbie, of course everything on my quilt is new. I am now basting the quilt with those *insert expletive here* pins!!! I hate it Especially with my fat fingers!
I saw a tute when I first joined this board on you tube and this lady had a tool that looked like a wooden screwdriver, but instead of a blade on the end it had grooves that when she pushed the pins through caught a groove and she closed it right up. I didn't think much of it at the time but would I love one now!!
Yes I am working on my quilt on Christmas...told ya I am hooked! LOL
David

My fingers hurt bad when pinning a quilt also. I use a grapefruit spoon to shut the pins. Works great and saves the fingers.

maryb44662 12-25-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC

Originally Posted by katier825
I hate pins! Love the spray baste. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. You may never go back to pins. :)

Ditto...spray basting is waaaayyyy better and sooooooo much easier and faster!

I will have to try that. I did once but needle got gooy so I haven't tried again since. I may have used too much spray. I saw on here that the 505 is good spray...I will get some of that as I have about 4 tops to put together. Thanks...hope all had a nice Christmas.

suebee 12-25-2010 08:05 PM

I hear ya, kills the fingers. I did my King this way. So I took a piece of dowl rod (sp) and an exacto knife and made my own grooves. works great.