Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My lesson for today..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-lesson-today-t228419.html)

Raine54RN 08-21-2013 04:28 PM

Oh such a difficult lesson. I'd never heard that story but I like it and now will try to remember when I covet the latest greatest when mostly already happy with what I have! Thank you for a great lesson I appreciate it!

Lovequilting22 08-21-2013 05:37 PM

Great attitude. Great reminder for me!

Pam B 08-21-2013 05:45 PM

DH and DS are farmers...and I love your analogy!

bearisgray 08-21-2013 06:27 PM

There is nothing wrong with wanting to have something that will make a project easier.

There is something very right with appreciating what one has and using it to the best of one's ability.

Your analogy was excellent.

Grace creates 08-21-2013 07:44 PM

Your story was touching. I think we all covet at times, but feel better when appreciation for what we do have sets in. I to tried a very expensive long arm at a quilt show and it was wonderful. However, my older Bernina does sew well and I do enjjoy what I have and grateful that it sews nicely. If the time comes that I have space and the means of something nicer I hope I also have the time to enjoy that. Most importantly we all need to remember to enjoy what our God Lord has provided and your story did reflect that truth.

sandy l 08-22-2013 02:42 AM

Thank you for your reminder to appreciate what I have.

Retired Fire Chief 08-22-2013 02:55 AM

Cute story and oh so true. Our heads are turned so easy it makes it difficult to see what good we really have. Glad you came back around.

brenwalt 08-22-2013 04:06 AM

Yes, a LA would probably be nice but I've quilted so many large 120 x 120 quilts on my DSM that I am now quite comfortable with it and honestly don't have the desire to go through the learning curve that would be required with a LA machine. Instead of getting a LA, I think I will get an automatic generator for my house for when the power goes out (which is often) and I would even have enough money to replace a couple of windows for what a LA would cost!! (That is when I get the money saved up "someday.")

WMUTeach 08-22-2013 04:14 AM

Contentment is often what we need. I decline going shopping, quilt shopping and other shopping too, just because I so often get snagged into desiring what I don't need. When I spend my day yearning for bigger and better, I forget to be thankful for the good that I already have. Would I like a better machine with a larger harp or down need feature, sure, but my machine works well and is sufficient for my skill level. Do I like that beautiful cut of fabric, sure, but I have bins and bins of fabric to use. Thank you good Lord for all that you have given to me and.. sew on! I'll know when it is time for that upgraded machine or that spectacular cut of fabric for that special quilt when the time is right!

citruscountyquilter 08-22-2013 04:31 AM

Thank you for posting this. We all need to be reminded every now and then to be content. This applies to things other than sewing machines too!