Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My lesson for today.....

My lesson for today.....

I have been piecing and quilting for a couple of years now. I’m on my way to getting “pretty good” at FMQ on my Husqvarana Rose machine…and then it happened a couple of weeks ago…..I played on a sit down TinLizzie 18 at our local quilt shop. I wished someone would have warned me “STOP!”, but no, no warning…I just sat downand …well… I created.

Fast forward to the past few days—I have fought my once beloved Rose while FMQ a quilt for the DH. I have wrestled with the bulk- ripped out stitches- held my breath---allthe while trying to figure out “what is my problem?” This morning, whilesitting on the back porch sipping coffee, while re-playing the frustration overand over again, trying to figure out why was this quilt so hard… it came tome!!! You see, I am like a farmer whouses a horse and plow to overturn his field. Mr. Farmer knows that there’s an easier way, but not being able to afford the “latest and greatest” he is content to use what he has. One day, he visits his neighbors, AND, the neighbor anxious to show off his pride and joy offers Mr. Farmer to takes a ride on his gas powered tractor! It’s at that moment;he realizes a whole new world lies beneath him. He gets excited as he feels the power of the machine, sees the progressand envisions all he could do if had a machine like this.
    But alas his joy ride is over. He goes home and once again, hooks up the horse to the plow and trudges through the fields. He finally settles it in his mind that “oneday” he’ll get that tractor. I too hope for that “one day” for my quilting machine~~but until then, I am relearning the lesson of being content with what God has given me at this moment….. Have a fantastic day!!!!

Last edited by mcook03; 08-21-2013 at 04:38 AM.
    Sewing right along........Martha

This is so true.......

Blog Entries
    That was wonderful and so hard to do at times

Amen! But I am thankful that I have plenty and am healthy enough to use it. Good day to you too

dd
    I went thru kinda like this too. We do need to be content with what God provides for us. I thought I was going to buy a Pfaff quilting machine, I also have a Rose. Then my son's car died and he needed that money for his car. Oh well. I have a nice machine. Hopefully God will upgrade our machines soon.lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Looks good. I don't think we have them in the UK yet.

You are right ....it is too easy to covet .... especially here where everyone is bragging all the time!!!

I can totally relate to your analogy. Only I coveted the Innova on a rack. Well I saved and saved and prayed and I did get my Innova with my savings and some help from family. So dreams do come true!

While at the Paducah Quilt show, I quite purposely did not touch any of those machines - just know that once I start, that will be all I can think about. I do not have the space until I'm ready to give up my living room for it.

Power Poster
    A gratitude attitude is the way to a content life. I too can do a decent job on my domestic machine but would love the room for a long arm. What helps me is to read about QB members wrestling with their tension and their desire to throw their long arm out the window.

yes, I feel the same about getting a sewing machine with fancy stitches -- I have a Singer from 1990 that sews well and is little trouble with no real maintenance needed -- it is somewhat simple in that it has 3 stitches for making buttonholes and 3 or 4 zigzags and a straight stitch -- no electronics etc. -- but sometimes I wish for a blanket stitch and some others....
    diane

I am relearning the lesson of being content with what God has given me at this moment….. Have a fantastic day!!!!

This is a very important lesson and one that I definitely struggle with too! Whenever I am having a particularly difficult time I go and look at some of the VERY elaborately quilted quilts such as America, Let It Shine http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2011...by-sherry.html . There are many, many others as well. It reminds me it is about the skill and truly having mastery over one's machine. No matter what the machine.

I also wanted a long arm but it didn't matter how many times I measured my rooms they just weren't big enough. After seeing the beautiful creations a friend did on her domestic machine I decided I really should be satisfied with what I have. If she can create that beauty then so can I. AND do I really want to have to learn another machine and another process. Since coming to that decision I have felt very much at peace with myself so I know I made the right decision.

I gave up half my living room with absolutely no regrets, and my husbands best wishes. It bothers nobody in our home. I love living in a space that reflects and supports our mutual interests.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

lol, don't let those stories scare you ;-) DSM have the same problem.

you said it all.

I too would absolutely love to have a long arm, my quilting might not be any better on it than my DSM, but at least I wouldn't have to wrestle with the darn quilt. This past weekend though, I was at a yard sale and it just so happens that the gal I talked to, has a long arm and rents it out for $20 an hour, so that's what I'm planning on doing and she's not that far away from me, about 20 miles. But, like you, one of these days, I'll have my own long arm.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I limit myself to where i'm going to browse and touch no machines anywhere except for the older ones. I remind myself of the one picked up on the curb and may go backout on the curb and the 2 apparently that were given away( I must have really been inebriated at that moment) or really out of it because of pain meds or some kind of dope. Something! So now I just work with what I paid $200.00 for be grateful I have it.

That's a great opportunity!

Blog Entries
    I guess you probably shouldnt look at Vikings new machines, including a 16in harp one. Talk about drooling. I have the Diamond and I'm still drooling.
    Judy

my workhorse is a 70s Kenmore. I keep a walking foot on my 90s plastic Sears machine (it was my first). My kids know not ever to mess with my machines without my permission.

I tell them all that I am satisfied using what I have. I have cams, if I ever decide to try to tackle some embroidery. So- so far so good. Except, I would like a larger harp for quilting.

If I *have* to replace a machine, I just might dream big! ;0))

I kind of agree with Tartan. No matter what type of machine you are coveting, just come on this Board and search for it.... you'll find a whole host of people who love theirs, and another group who are ready to toss theirs into the street! It really helps every time I get the urge to buy another machine. But best of luck to all who have those newfangled, large-harp machines and love 'em!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcook03 View Post
    I have been piecing and quilting for a couple of years now. I’m on my way to getting “pretty good” at FMQ on my Husqvarana Rose machine…and then it happened a couple of weeks ago…..I played on a sit down TinLizzie 18 at our local quilt shop. I wished someone would have warned me “STOP!”, but no, no warning…I just sat downand …well… I created.

Fast forward to the past few days—I have fought my once beloved Rose while FMQ a quilt for the DH. I have wrestled with the bulk- ripped out stitches- held my breath---allthe while trying to figure out “what is my problem?” This morning, whilesitting on the back porch sipping coffee, while re-playing the frustration overand over again, trying to figure out why was this quilt so hard… it came tome!!! You see, I am like a farmer whouses a horse and plow to overturn his field. Mr. Farmer knows that there’s an easier way, but not being able to afford the “latest and greatest” he is content to use what he has. One day, he visits his neighbors, AND, the neighbor anxious to show off his pride and joy offers Mr. Farmer to takes a ride on his gas powered tractor! It’s at that moment;he realizes a whole new world lies beneath him. He gets excited as he feels the power of the machine, sees the progressand envisions all he could do if had a machine like this.
    But alas his joy ride is over. He goes home and once again, hooks up the horse to the plow and trudges through the fields. He finally settles it in his mind that “oneday” he’ll get that tractor. I too hope for that “one day” for my quilting machine~~but until then, I am relearning the lesson of being content with what God has given me at this moment….. Have a fantastic day!!!!

I totally agree with this. Maybe one day. . .

I know the feeling of wanting a new machine or a fancy die cutter etc. But then I think of all those beautiful quilts from the 19th and early 20th centuries that I have seen, made entirely by hand.
    New and expensive machines are nice, but I hope my patience and skill will make up for the lack of these.

I've never felt I could toss a machine to the street. Choose your tools wisely. That old horse has some value.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast