Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lesson I learned today

Starch shrinks fabric. Well, I'm actually specifically using the Bounce spray. Dangit! Now I know why my pieces seem that I've cut them wrong! I have NOT cut them wrong! What I did was to cut them, then starch and press them. On one dark fabric with little circles on them, I finally saw why it was coming out smaller... the darn stuff actually shriveled right before my eyes!!

SO, lesson learned is to starch and press BEFORE cutting!!!! :o(

Blog Entries
    Are you not a pre-washer?

I also starch my fabric before cutting. Just make sure you don't store starched fabrics for long periods of time. Bugs love starch and will eat your stored fabric.

Starch doesn't and shouldn't shrink fabric. If you've prewashed it, it's good to go. I'm in the prewashing croud and this is one of MANY reasons you should always prewash yardage. If you're fabric isn't 100% cotton the shrinkage could also be "melting" of the poly material.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it is not the starch that cause it to shrink...it was the wetting and heating...even if you had sprayed it with water, as soon as the iron hit it the shrinking begins.

Best to wash, iron, starch and then cut!

No, I'm not a pre-washer. When I took my first class at my LQS they advised us NOT to, and so I have gotten in the habit of not, and up until now it's never been a problem.
    I did once, before that first class, wash all my fabric (in preparation FOR the class)and it was a disaster!!! It all frayed HORRIBLY and also I had SO much waste when squaring it up to get ready to cut! So since then, since I've had good results from not pre-washing, I've stuck with that.

I did just go and spray a piece of the fabric with water and it did shrink. I'll just have to start making sure I starch before I cut.

Oh, and it's most definitely 100% cotton. The shrinking actually happened right in front of my eyes AS I sprayed it, but from what I read above, the heat must have shrunk it more. ugh.

Blog Entries
    And hopefully you'll never have problems with bleeding, either. :)

Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    No, I'm not a pre-washer. When I took my first class at my LQS they advised us NOT to, and so I have gotten in the habit of not, and up until now it's never been a problem.
    I did once, before that first class, wash all my fabric (in preparation FOR the class)and it was a disaster!!! It all frayed HORRIBLY and also I had SO much waste when squaring it up to get ready to cut! So since then, since I've had good results from not pre-washing, I've stuck with that.

I did just go and spray a piece of the fabric with water and it did shrink. I'll just have to start making sure I starch before I cut.

Oh, and it's most definitely 100% cotton. The shrinking actually happened right in front of my eyes AS I sprayed it, but from what I read above, the heat must have shrunk it more. ugh.
    The pre-washers will be along shortly to give you what for for not pre-washing. Feel free to ignore them.

Do starch and iron before cutting though.

In the most recent class I took the instructor said if you're not going to pre-wash then iron and starch before cutting and after that only use a dry iron.

Starch shrinks fabric. Well, I'm actually specifically using the Bounce spray. Dangit! Now I know why my pieces seem that I've cut them wrong! I have NOT cut them wrong! What I did was to cut them, then starch and press them. On one dark fabric with little circles on them, I finally saw why it was coming out smaller... the darn stuff actually shriveled right before my eyes!!

I didn't realize this but I always starch before I cut anyways. However this is good to know incase I get lazy someday and decided not to starch before cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

The pre-washers will be along shortly to give you what for for not pre-washing. Feel free to ignore them.
    Really nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    I always figured for the bleeding, that the color catchers will keep that from happening??

I always figured for the bleeding, that the color catchers will keep that from happening??
    Color catchers don't stop the bleeding. They just pick the dye up out of the wash water.

Honestly though, if another fabric doesn't pick that loose dye up it's not a problem.

Color catchers don't stop the bleeding. They just pick the dye up out of the wash water.

Honestly though, if another fabric doesn't pick that loose dye up it's not a problem.
    Oh whew!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! :o)

I zig-zag the raw edges and you have less waste from washing. Also if it is zig-zagged you know it was washed.

I always starch my fabric before cutting and I continue to starch every step of the way.....and I don't prewash :D

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I always starch my fabric before cutting and I continue to starch every step of the way.....and I don't prewash :D
    :thumbup:

Kas

Problem is, you never know which fabric is gonna do it to ya. I just washed a bunch of black & white fabric. One of the lighter ones picked up the loose black. Now it is grayer instead of crisp black & white. Another one that had even more white that was in the same load came out still bright white. I think it's a crap shoot whether you prewash or not. I still do it to lessen my chances though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kas

Problem is, you never know which fabric is gonna do it to ya. I just washed a bunch of black & white fabric. One of the lighter ones picked up the loose black. Now it is grayer instead of crisp black & white. Another one that had even more white that was in the same load came out still bright white. I think it's a crap shoot whether you prewash or not. I still do it to lessen my chances though!
    I'll bet if you wash it a couple more times the loose black dye will wash out. It's still not set.

Blog Entries
    If you cut a little diagonal piece off the corners, it won't ravel as much when you wash it. It still ravels some, but not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB
    If you cut a little diagonal piece off the corners, it won't ravel as much when you wash it. It still ravels some, but not as much.
    Oh!!!!!! Good to know!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB
    Ohhhh! Great idea.

I'm one of the prewashers you were warned about! No meddling here, though, just my opinion. 100% cotton does shrink. If I am working with yardage (which is most of the time), I wash. If I'm working with smaller pieces (smaller than a FQ) I don't prewash or even soak. I DO however, starch everything before I cut just for stability.

And yes, when you prewash you will normally get tangled edges. I always over buy by at least a 1/2 yard so I have room for cutting errors or other boo boos along the way so having to square up the edge before I start is no big deal to me. Plus I'm more comfortable knowing that I'm closer to being on the straight of grain when I cut and will thus have even more stability with my piecing.

Blog Entries

I learned that lesson when I first started quilting about 5 years ago. Now I starch my yardage. But I use Mary Ellens Best Press, no bug attracting things in it, starch attracts bugs.

Blog Entries
    Moisture makes cotton fabric shrink. Starch contains moisture and can therefore make cotton fabric shrink. This can be used to our advantage, as shown in the following Sharon Schamber videos:

Sharon Schamber's Beginning Quilter : Magical Basting P1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi1RgiLI9GI

Sharon Schamber's Beginning Quilter : Magical Basting P2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmcdOz-ypwU

I have read that starch will shrink your fabric. I have never used starch so can't say from experience. Don't know if it makes a difference if the fabric is prewashed or not. (?)

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I have gone back and forth on this issue, and I've decided I'm prewashing everything. I'm just not willing to risk a quilt's worth of hard work to bleeding fabric. I've tried all the methods to prevent fraying, including stitching the raw edges together first (what a hassle, and it still frayed). My conclusion is the good old-fashioned pinking shears are my best bet. And I can instantly tell if a fabric has been washed or not!

It's funny you posted this issue today. Yesterday it was poor Krystyna, who had cut a ton of strips, and watched in horror as they shrank before her eyes. If bad news comes in threes, somebody better watch out. :shock: :shock:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast