Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My lesson for today..... >

My lesson for today.....

My lesson for today.....

Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM

my workhorse is a 70s Kenmore. I keep a walking foot on my 90s plastic Sears machine (it was my first). My kids know not ever to mess with my machines without my permission.

I tell them all that I am satisfied using what I have. I have cams, if I ever decide to try to tackle some embroidery. So- so far so good. Except, I would like a larger harp for quilting.

If I *have* to replace a machine, I just might dream big! ;0))
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM

I kind of agree with Tartan. No matter what type of machine you are coveting, just come on this Board and search for it.... you'll find a whole host of people who love theirs, and another group who are ready to toss theirs into the street! It really helps every time I get the urge to buy another machine. But best of luck to all who have those newfangled, large-harp machines and love 'em!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mcook03 View Post
I have been piecing and quilting for a couple of years now. I’m on my way to getting “pretty good” at FMQ on my Husqvarana Rose machine…and then it happened a couple of weeks ago…..I played on a sit down TinLizzie 18 at our local quilt shop. I wished someone would have warned me “STOP!”, but no, no warning…I just sat downand …well… I created. <sigh>
</sigh>

Fast forward to the past few days—I have fought my once beloved Rose while FMQ a quilt for the DH. I have wrestled with the bulk- ripped out stitches- held my breath---allthe while trying to figure out “what is my problem?” This morning, whilesitting on the back porch sipping coffee, while re-playing the frustration overand over again, trying to figure out why was this quilt so hard… it came tome!!! You see, I am like a farmer whouses a horse and plow to overturn his field. Mr. Farmer knows that there’s an easier way, but not being able to afford the “latest and greatest” he is content to use what he has. One day, he visits his neighbors, AND, the neighbor anxious to show off his pride and joy offers Mr. Farmer to takes a ride on his gas powered tractor! It’s at that moment;he realizes a whole new world lies beneath him. He gets excited as he feels the power of the machine, sees the progressand envisions all he could do if had a machine like this.
But alas his joy ride is over. He goes home and once again, hooks up the horse to the plow and trudges through the fields. He finally settles it in his mind that “oneday” he’ll get that tractor. I too hope for that “one day” for my quilting machine~~but until then, I am relearning the lesson of being content with what God has given me at this moment…..<sigh> Have a fantastic day!!!!
</sigh>

I totally agree with this. Maybe one day. . .
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

I know the feeling of wanting a new machine or a fancy die cutter etc. But then I think of all those beautiful quilts from the 19th and early 20th centuries that I have seen, made entirely by hand.
New and expensive machines are nice, but I hope my patience and skill will make up for the lack of these.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM

I've never felt I could toss a machine to the street. Choose your tools wisely. That old horse has some value.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I will be happy as long as my two 9" straight stitch only machines keep sewing and I don't break something in them. I am content with them, no space for anything bigger.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM

I have one Janome 360 QDC with simple embroidery stitches. I saw a $10,000 Innova at a quilt show, which seemed like a lot of $, but some people pay nearly that much for a high-end sewing machine. I think it has to do with the investment - are you going to exhibit? sell? teach? rent it out? - as well as just enjoying the LA artistic process.

I'm just quilting for the enjoyment of it, and a $10K investment in a machine which would get used at max half a dozen times a year (figuring I've been quilting for 2 1/2 years and have made maybe 15 projects) would be ridiculous. When I'm ready, I can go to a LQS where they will teach you and rent it out.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I've never felt I could toss a machine to the street. Choose your tools wisely. That old horse has some value.
Not tossed to the street. I add to my collection.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM

Loved your story!! But your attitude even more. Your a very wise woman.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Yes, that lesson has to be repeated to me over and over again. Thanks for the reminder and good luck to you in your endeavors. :-)