Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my low tech sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-low-tech-sewing-room-t62873.html)

Pickles 09-03-2010 03:30 PM

I'm right there with you , I have my two old sewing machines in
our Bedroom and everything in the way of my stash is in tubs in my bedroom closet, I'm still using the rotter cutter I have had for the last 9 years and sharpen them my self so have only brought one blade for it in the 9 years, all my material that is new has been given to me and all the rest is took apart clothing.
I still have only two rulers that I started out with 9 years ago.
So yes I don't have it all, but enjoy what I do have and make it work for me.. :D :D

katiebear1 09-03-2010 03:35 PM

I am lucky in that I have a 25x13 foot room. But it also has a daybed in it and is lined floor to ceiling with book shelves. (I always wanted a library and when we bought this house I claimed that room for that. (this was before I started quilting. So now I have a corner for my quilting, but I still have a large enough floor space to sandwich a king quilt. My only problem is that it hardly gets any natural light.

ptquilts 09-03-2010 03:44 PM

In my old (big) house we had a kitchen dining area but never put a dining table in it (just a kitchen table in the kitchen part) . So I had a big floor space to baste quilts on.
One time I had a dark, plaid wool quilt top on the floor, a visitor to the house walked on it - guess he thought it was a rug.

clem55 09-03-2010 04:30 PM

My 20 year old sewing machine ids in my bedroom. I do have a TV in there, and a roccker for when I want to read. Ihave the pattern cabinet that my husband made for me, plus the thread chest he made. I bought a new rotary cutter and a new ruler last month, and that is the only equipment I have bought for 20 years. What fabric I have is in the guest room closet or in a tub in the basement. I have a computer that is new, but it is in my kitchen. So yes, I might be called behind the times. LOL

butterflywing 09-03-2010 04:33 PM

people really have computers in their sewing rooms?

clem55 09-03-2010 05:15 PM

I"ve seen a lot of them in the pictures others have shown of their sewing room. I think a lot of the embroidery machines need them.

Barbm 09-03-2010 05:32 PM

I have an extra laptop from work that's 4 years old. As the co. has grown I've grown from 1 laptop to 3 desktops. I do have my accounts payable on this as I try to keep personal stuff with me.

I "invested" in my Juki 98Q 2 years ago- to replace my 1973 Singer Touch N Sew, which now resides at my dd's.

My machine sits on a student desk from the 50s- I absolutely love it- the chair is smaller sized and perfect for me.

I've been collecting vintage sewing notions- sewing baskets, buttons, etc.

ckp11271 09-03-2010 08:30 PM

My machines are pretty new, but nothing fancy - a White ("Betty") and a Singer ("Sally") that have a few interesting stitches, but no computer screens on them. I do have an old Singer 66, but it is only for decoration. The computer is newer too, but only a $299 basic model - and is in a different room. They all work just fine for what I need them for!

tooMuchFabric 09-03-2010 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
people really have computers in their sewing rooms?

Some embroidery machines require hookup to a computer.

But more probably they have the computer there so they can peek at this quilting forum as they go about their sewing!!!

loopywren 09-04-2010 09:21 AM

Haven't room for it anywhere else in my little house.