Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my low tech sewing room >

my low tech sewing room

my low tech sewing room

Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM

reading yesterday about some (lucky!) quilter who got a $5000 sewing machine (wow).
I was looking around my sewing room/computer room/guest room and came up with the following.
Sewing machine -Mom's cabinet Kenmore that was new when I was 7 or 8, (am 54 now). DH uses treadle in the living room.
Cassette boom box to listen to my Patsy Kline/Dinah Washington/Skeeter Davis tapes while sewing.
PC with Windows XP (new to me, used to have a W98 model). No connection between PC and sewing machine.
Printer, I am guessing about 1992 model?
Several pairs of scissors, never graduated to rotary cutter as we use mostly scraps.

Now I can't be the only one. fess up, who else will join me back in the 20th century?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
reading yesterday about some (lucky!) quilter who got a $5000 sewing machine (wow).
I was looking around my sewing room/computer room/guest room and came up with the following.
Sewing machine -Mom's cabinet Kenmore that was new when I was 7 or 8, (am 54 now). DH uses treadle in the living room.
Cassette boom box to listen to my Patsy Kline/Dinah Washington/Skeeter Davis tapes while sewing.
PC with Windows XP (new to me, used to have a W98 model). No connection between PC and sewing machine.
Printer, I am guessing about 1992 model?
Several pairs of scissors, never graduated to rotary cutter as we use mostly scraps.

Now I can't be the only one. fess up, who else will join me back in the 20th century?

I am there with you. Well kinda I have new computers but not top of the line just Walmart e machines.

My sewing room has a 5 year old Kenmore basic model no computer screen, a 1970-80's riccar and 2 treadles.
I have Quilt wizard on my computer that was like 30$ so I splurged for that lol ( and barely use it lol)

I have a couple of rulers and only 1 rotary cutter.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

still using my original rotary cutter from the 80's.
i borrow my son's laptop, ...printer, what printer,(go to the public library for that). small cd player to listen to books while quilting,(borrowed from library). on the rotary cutter, i use blades forever, even if they skip, i just press harder and gover 2 or 3 times.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM

wow, you have 4 sewing machines in your sewing room?!
Mine is small so only one, but even so (sew) we manage to collect portables. At one time we had over a dozen, most we got free.
In my previous house (9 room colonial) I had a nice big sewing room that didn't have to double as anything else. I miss it sometimes. Now we are in a 4 room ranch w/cellar, things are a bit tight. I have to move the kitchen table if I need to baste a quilt.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
wow, you have 4 sewing machines in your sewing room?!
Mine is small so only one, but even so (sew) we manage to collect portables. At one time we had over a dozen, most we got free.
In my previous house (9 room colonial) I had a nice big sewing room that didn't have to double as anything else. I miss it sometimes. Now we are in a 4 room ranch w/cellar, things are a bit tight. I have to move the kitchen table if I need to baste a quilt.
well not quite. I only have 1 sewing machine set up and my treadles are down stairs.

Ohh yea and keep your printer cus hubby got me a new one for my birthday and I hate it. It runs out of ink so fast and if I run out of 1 color the whole printer stops working. Epson holds me hostage till I buy more of their overprices ink lol
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM
np3
Power Poster

I have new stuff and like to buy the new tools and books. But I have all of my old machines too. I have been thinking about selling them on Craigs list. They work really well but probably aren't worth much.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM

you would be surprised, I had a couple of old Pfaffs and sold them for over $100 each on ebay.
But the funniest story was about an old treadle we had - nothing special, junky cabinet, but it worked.
A guy called up, he was joining a commune and wanted to bring something everyone could use. You thought the hippies were just back in the 60's?? There is a new crop of them.
Here he comes with his hippie girlfriend (his mom drove them) - I don't think either of them had a bath in the last week, hair all "dreaded" out, clothes from the Sallie Ann -- it did my heart good to see them carrying on the old hippie tradition. They bought it and were happy to get it, but not as happy as we were to get it out of our cellar.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM

I am with you ptquilts. my computer is about six years, sewing machine 30yrs, scissors over fifteen, I have a rotary cutter but still use scissors most of the time. my room is also my grandchildrens bedroom when they come to stay the night,mu Mum stays there too,at Christmas,(not with the grandchildren !!!) she is 96yrs. So you are not alone.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM

I have a $79.00 Machine from Sears, only does straight or zigzag, but I did get the littlest Brother that does embroidery (SE350) for my birthday last year. my sewing room is also our office, our guest room and my scrapbooking room (I believe it's a 12x12 room). so I use the dining room table alot. we have a storage room under the house that I would love to convert but... You are not alone in the muli purposeing room or the older equipment, but it all works and thats what counts.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I used to use an iron that I thought of as my "new" iron (it was the newest one I had) looked at the fine print one day., it was made in 1970.
I do have a newer one now.