Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Machine Binding done this way is never full. Any tips ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-machine-binding-done-way-never-full-any-tips-t289641.html)

copycat 07-14-2017 02:41 AM

My Machine Binding done this way is never full. Any tips ?

I am doing Machine Binding and have the same issue every time. My binding is not full.

I am sewing 2.5" binding to the front of the quilt using a 1/4" seam allowance. I turn the binding to the back of the quilt and bring the edge of the binding just over the seam line. (visible from sewing the binding to the front).
I use a lot of pins to keep the binding in place. Now I Stitch in the ditch on the front of the quilt along the binding in order to catch the Back of the binding edge.

I can't seem to get a full binding when I machine bind with this method. Any tips or advice Please and thank you!

QuiltnNan 07-14-2017 02:49 AM

i found that cutting the binding to 2.25" helps me a lot

JustAbitCrazy 07-14-2017 02:56 AM

I do the same---cut the binding at 2.25", sometimes even a bit less, like 2 and an eighth inches.

Rhonda K 07-14-2017 03:31 AM

You can stitch the binding on using a 3/8" seam allowance.

I sew binding onto the back using 3/8" seam then turn over to front and stitch down. I can see where the stitches are on the front and control the corner turns easier.

Or cut the binding smaller as mentioned above.

I made some scrap samples of both to determine which method worked for me. Generally, I don't iron the binding in half before stitching either. The binding edge lays flatter without the ironed edge. A light press to flatten the binding edge afterwards and it's all good.

Onebyone 07-14-2017 03:53 AM

Full binding is for judges. I have found full binding does not hold up over time. It frays and looks worn faster then more flat binding. The edges of the quilt get a lot of wear so the more surface area on the edge the more wear. Where ever the full binding rule came from it needs to go back.

cjsews 07-14-2017 04:08 AM

I do as you but trim my quilt with an extra 1/8 in batting. I don't trim until after I sew the binding on. This gives me something to hold and keeps the edges of the underside from slipping.

Tartan 07-14-2017 04:44 AM

I square my quilts before adding binding. This gives me a nice straight edge to sew the binding to and with the 1/4 inch seam, it is sure to be full.

Quilt30 07-14-2017 05:18 AM

Your binding is too wide or your seam allowance not wide enough. I find that a 2.5" binding takes 3/8" seam to be full.

Becky's Crafts 07-14-2017 05:56 AM

I purchased a Martelli seam guide & stitch in ditch binding foot from Nancy's Notions online. It goes from 1/4" to 1" and is easy to get the seams on both sides to match. I sew to the front first, pin to the back & then adjust the width to make sure it's just catching the back binding where I want it. It comes out awesome on both sides!

Macybaby 07-14-2017 06:17 AM

For me, anything more than 2.25" wide needs more than a 1/4" seam or it won't be full. If I'm not sure what I need, I sew several inches than pull it over and see if the seam is correct for the binding width. If not, I adjust.

I never use a seam guide, I just go by what I've got sticking out from the edge of the narrow straight stitch foot. I know if I can see 2-3 threads, that is right about a scant 1/4". If what I'm sewing is coming out a bit short, I sew so less is sticking out, and if it seems wide, then I sew with more sticking out.