Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My New Cheapy Iron... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-new-cheapy-iron-t220477.html)

Jingle 05-01-2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 6038686)
You may have to wash your hands after using it. Almost all the irons there come from China, and many have a warning in print so fine it almost doesn't look like letters, but like a dark line, saying something like: "Wash hands after using due to lead content in the cord."

Sounds like a very made up story to me.
Not much of anything made in U.S.A.

cwessel47 05-01-2013 06:43 PM

I've bought three cheap irons in my life - and I am 60. They last for decades. However, I don't use steam - ever - and that may be the trick! It works for me and I iron as hot as I can get it. I hate automatic shutoffs, by the way. The last one I bought, about 4 years ago, was the first to come with this "magic" feature. Retraining the old mind is for the birds.

DOTTYMO 05-02-2013 12:22 AM

I must admit iam a cheap iron fan. I used to purchase expensive ones but mine never last. My mother had her iron for fifty years. I'm lucky to get fifty days sometimes. No idea what I do they just stop working. No blown fuse etc. so I decided to buy cheap if they only lasted that long.

earthwalker 05-02-2013 12:31 AM

Some times price is no indicator of quality or lastability (probably not a word but you know what I mean:)). I have a Philips iron that I'm quite happy with....but I've had a Rowenta which performed terribly and I ended up using a second hand cheapie for quite some time. The only reason I stopped using it was my step-son moved out and needed an iron so I gave him mine.

Sassy08 05-02-2013 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 6038534)
My old, standard-size iron has been wearing out for some time now. The Teflon is now peeling, the tip has a dent in it and I'm never sure whether the temp is on HOT, or COLD. It's latest breakdown was the spray nozzle. I pressed the sprayer and POOOT...out shot the nozzle from the iron, soaring past the cat and landing clear across the room! (The cat's still not over it.)

So, off I went shopping and I found this cute, little iron at the bog-box, discount store that starts with a "W." It was only $6.97. Surely, this thing won't last a day, I thought. What a piece of carp! But I'm a cheap gambler, so I bought it anyway and set it up at my quilting table.

I've been using it a week now and I have to say, it's a pretty nice li'l iron. It's light weight, which I think is wonderful. I especially think so, after pressing a gazillion blocks that each have a multitude of seams. Ahhh...My arm is NOT falling off. The iron has a spray feature, (with a nozzle that is molded into the body, thank Gawd,) a steam feature that can be turned on and off, a Teflon coated plate, a clear, see-thru, water storage, plus, it's small, so it can get into those intricate seams and points...not to mention it could be a great travel buddy. Now, maybe it won't last as long as a Rowenta, but hey... just think of how many of these cheapy irons I could buy for the price of one fancy iron!

Anyway, check it out. It's the "Lightweight Iron," made by RIVAL.

~ Cindy

Does it shut off automatically? That safety feature is ok for "doing the ironing", but I do not like it when I'm piecing a quilt top.

nhweaver 05-02-2013 03:09 AM

I bought a cheapie iron with an auto shut off, it went to the thrift store pronto. Nothing is as frustrating, as piecing for a few minutes and then trying to iron with a cold iron. I love my $10 iron, it steams, sprays and gets hot.

judylg 05-02-2013 03:49 AM

I never use water in the iron, I keep a water spray bottle on the ironing board, with well water I found this works best for me. It is amazing just how much I use the iron when sewing, way more than I used to.

tropit 05-02-2013 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sassy08 (Post 6039056)
Does it shut off automatically? That safety feature is ok for "doing the ironing", but I do not like it when I'm piecing a quilt top.

No, there's no auto shut-off on this iron. That's fine with me.
~ Cindy

Normabeth 05-02-2013 06:59 AM

Thanks - can't tell you how many irons I have gone thru, I should buy a supply of these Rival's LOL

klgls 05-03-2013 04:03 AM

I was just there (W) last week to buy a new iron because my quit. I bought one and took it back because it kept leaking - no fun. I looked at the little Rival, and looked again, but didn't buy it. Now I wish I had. I did buy the Shark lightweight and it seems to be working fine - although it is not very light.