Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Cheapy Iron...

Cool My New Cheapy Iron...

My old, standard-size iron has been wearing out for some time now. The Teflon is now peeling, the tip has a dent in it and I'm never sure whether the temp is on HOT, or COLD. It's latest breakdown was the spray nozzle. I pressed the sprayer and POOOT...out shot the nozzle from the iron, soaring past the cat and landing clear across the room! (The cat's still not over it.)

So, off I went shopping and I found this cute, little iron at the bog-box, discount store that starts with a "W." It was only $6.97. Surely, this thing won't last a day, I thought. What a piece of carp! But I'm a cheap gambler, so I bought it anyway and set it up at my quilting table.

I've been using it a week now and I have to say, it's a pretty nice li'l iron. It's light weight, which I think is wonderful. I especially think so, after pressing a gazillion blocks that each have a multitude of seams. Ahhh...My arm is NOT falling off. The iron has a spray feature, (with a nozzle that is molded into the body, thank Gawd,) a steam feature that can be turned on and off, a Teflon coated plate, a clear, see-thru, water storage, plus, it's small, so it can get into those intricate seams and points...not to mention it could be a great travel buddy. Now, maybe it won't last as long as a Rowenta, but hey... just think of how many of these cheapy irons I could buy for the price of one fancy iron!

Anyway, check it out. It's the "Lightweight Iron," made by RIVAL.

~ Cindy

Blog Entries
    thanks, I will look. I am not in love with my Shark one. it's ok but takes awhile to get up steam and then most of it is lost when I set the iron upright. my Rowenta blew out my power cord so I trashed it.

Blog Entries
    i almost always get my irons there. i've been happy with them. and i don't feel badly if they don't last that long... but they usually last long enough.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

The iron I'm using now came from a garage sale, and my backup also came from a garage sale. So I'm not out much money on either one, but I do like the one I'm using right now, it's a sunbeam.

I think I have the same iron .. and it a pretty nice little unit! Like you said light weight and keeps my carpal tunnel from flaring. After spending big $$ on two Rowenta's I gave up .

I don't spend a lot on my irons either - to me the secret is in the water - I use 1/2 distilled and 1/2 tap water. None of my irons spit or leave deposits. Isn't it nice to find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

That's a good price. I used to use a travel iron, but it seemed to stay so hot all the time. I preferred my big iron, but that took so long to heat up. So if I used the travel iron, I'd have to keep turning it off, although it did heat up quickly. Let us know if this one doesn't stay too hot.

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere last week that you are NOT supposed to turn your steam on until the iron is completely hot. It made sense to me. (heating iron/cold water) Keeps it from spitting. So, that's what I've been doing & have not had a problem since. I too, like the cheapy irons. I bought one at the $ store that doesn't have the auto shutoff. I think I paid $7 or $8 dollars for it. I have a bigger, little more expensive one, that I bought at Wally World but, I don't care for it. To heavy & has the auto shutoff. It makes a good door stop. LOL!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

You may have to wash your hands after using it. Almost all the irons there come from China, and many have a warning in print so fine it almost doesn't look like letters, but like a dark line, saying something like: "Wash hands after using due to lead content in the cord."

If the iron was made in the past couple of years, there shouldn't be in lead content in it. The US and Europe have to many regulations going on that China has to be compliant to. I purchase parts from China and US vendors for a major manufacturing company and they have to meet these regulations.
    Sharyl

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    You may have to wash your hands after using it. Almost all the irons there come from China, and many have a warning in print so fine it almost doesn't look like letters, but like a dark line, saying something like: "Wash hands after using due to lead content in the cord."
    Sounds like a very made up story to me.
    Not much of anything made in U.S.A.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've bought three cheap irons in my life - and I am 60. They last for decades. However, I don't use steam - ever - and that may be the trick! It works for me and I iron as hot as I can get it. I hate automatic shutoffs, by the way. The last one I bought, about 4 years ago, was the first to come with this "magic" feature. Retraining the old mind is for the birds.

Blog Entries
    I must admit iam a cheap iron fan. I used to purchase expensive ones but mine never last. My mother had her iron for fifty years. I'm lucky to get fifty days sometimes. No idea what I do they just stop working. No blown fuse etc. so I decided to buy cheap if they only lasted that long.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Some times price is no indicator of quality or lastability (probably not a word but you know what I mean). I have a Philips iron that I'm quite happy with....but I've had a Rowenta which performed terribly and I ended up using a second hand cheapie for quite some time. The only reason I stopped using it was my step-son moved out and needed an iron so I gave him mine.

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    My old, standard-size iron has been wearing out for some time now. The Teflon is now peeling, the tip has a dent in it and I'm never sure whether the temp is on HOT, or COLD. It's latest breakdown was the spray nozzle. I pressed the sprayer and POOOT...out shot the nozzle from the iron, soaring past the cat and landing clear across the room! (The cat's still not over it.)

So, off I went shopping and I found this cute, little iron at the bog-box, discount store that starts with a "W." It was only $6.97. Surely, this thing won't last a day, I thought. What a piece of carp! But I'm a cheap gambler, so I bought it anyway and set it up at my quilting table.

I've been using it a week now and I have to say, it's a pretty nice li'l iron. It's light weight, which I think is wonderful. I especially think so, after pressing a gazillion blocks that each have a multitude of seams. Ahhh...My arm is NOT falling off. The iron has a spray feature, (with a nozzle that is molded into the body, thank Gawd,) a steam feature that can be turned on and off, a Teflon coated plate, a clear, see-thru, water storage, plus, it's small, so it can get into those intricate seams and points...not to mention it could be a great travel buddy. Now, maybe it won't last as long as a Rowenta, but hey... just think of how many of these cheapy irons I could buy for the price of one fancy iron!

Anyway, check it out. It's the "Lightweight Iron," made by RIVAL.

~ Cindy
    Does it shut off automatically? That safety feature is ok for "doing the ironing", but I do not like it when I'm piecing a quilt top.
    His compassions are new every morning. . . Great is Your faithfulness!

Blog Entries
    I bought a cheapie iron with an auto shut off, it went to the thrift store pronto. Nothing is as frustrating, as piecing for a few minutes and then trying to iron with a cold iron. I love my $10 iron, it steams, sprays and gets hot.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I never use water in the iron, I keep a water spray bottle on the ironing board, with well water I found this works best for me. It is amazing just how much I use the iron when sewing, way more than I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy08 View Post
    Does it shut off automatically? That safety feature is ok for "doing the ironing", but I do not like it when I'm piecing a quilt top.
    No, there's no auto shut-off on this iron. That's fine with me.
    ~ Cindy

Thanks - can't tell you how many irons I have gone thru, I should buy a supply of these Rival's LOL
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I was just there (W) last week to buy a new iron because my quit. I bought one and took it back because it kept leaking - no fun. I looked at the little Rival, and looked again, but didn't buy it. Now I wish I had. I did buy the Shark lightweight and it seems to be working fine - although it is not very light.

My DH used to have a job a few years ago where he repaired return items at a store that bought pallets of returned items from large stores. Most of the irons that he had to work on were Rowenta. The main problem he found was a cracked water tank inside. I have used the "cheap" and garage sale irons for ages. I guess you can say I am cheap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdwill View Post
    If the iron was made in the past couple of years, there shouldn't be in lead content in it. The US and Europe have to many regulations going on that China has to be compliant to. I purchase parts from China and US vendors for a major manufacturing company and they have to meet these regulations.
    About a month ago, I purchased a pair of kitchen tongs and when I got home, there was a warning to wash hands after use due to lead content. On a kitchen utensil????? I was furious! It went back to the store with my complaints, which seemed to fall on deaf ears. Never thought to look for a warning on an iron. It is just so hard to find things made in the USA.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by vondae View Post
    I read somewhere last week that you are NOT supposed to turn your steam on until the iron is completely hot. It made sense to me. (heating iron/cold water) Keeps it from spitting. So, that's what I've been doing & have not had a problem since. I too, like the cheapy irons. I bought one at the $ store that doesn't have the auto shutoff. I think I paid $7 or $8 dollars for it. I have a bigger, little more expensive one, that I bought at Wally World but, I don't care for it. To heavy & has the auto shutoff. It makes a good door stop. LOL!!
    I never knew that! It makes sense, though. Thank you for the hint of the day!

When my Mom passed 6 years ago, no one wanted her iron (a GE, still in the box-with instruction book that says 1976) so I brought it home and decided to try it out. It gets HOT stays HOT and works like a charm. Glad I didn't send it to Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    thanks, I will look. I am not in love with my Shark one. it's ok but takes awhile to get up steam and then most of it is lost when I set the iron upright. my Rowenta blew out my power cord so I trashed it.
    Absolutly hate my Shark iron....shuts off too soon..have to click the button five times every time it stops to get it up to temp....sucky iron...i wish it would die so i could get another..migh just have to look at the 6.00 iron!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast