Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my new NY's resolution... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-new-nys-resolution-t86805.html)

Fancy Nancy 01-01-2011 01:38 PM

is to quit throwing scraps from my current projects in a box to deal with later - just spent last several days going thru all my scraps and cutting into different size squares/strips (depending on how could get most out of each scrap. Now I do have stacks of squares/strips ready to use for a scrap quilt but way too much work to do it all at one time!

Fabaddict 01-01-2011 01:40 PM

I find it easier and more efficient to cut them as I get them. I fill a shoe box with them, then when shoe box is full I file them in proper containers with like sizes.

bj 01-01-2011 01:44 PM

I know what you mean. I used to just drop them in a plastic box beside my sewing table. Took the time, finally, to try and get them organized and in manageable pieces. I cut squares and strips until I wanted to scream. Now when I finish a project, I do the stripping and squaring right then if the leftovers are not at least close to a fat quarter. I need to make some scrappy quilts to get them used up. I don't seem to do those enough as my scrap bags just get bigger. :-D :-D

littlehud 01-01-2011 02:02 PM

I have a tote of them. I'm almost afraid to open it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

np3 01-01-2011 02:07 PM

Until recently, I threw them away. Now I feel guilty about the waste and I am saving them for someone. But I know I won't use them. I don't do scrappy and I don't usually do small pieces. Eventually, I'll send them to someone on here.

featherweight 01-01-2011 02:20 PM

I toss mine. More trouble cutting and storeing them than it is to just get rid of them.

leatheflea 01-01-2011 02:48 PM

Save my scraps, comes in handy, my tote is full so it time to make a scrappy quilt or two.

amma 01-01-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I have a tote of them. I'm almost afraid to open it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too!! :D:D:D

lclang 01-01-2011 02:54 PM

I usually toss them in the scrap bag if they are less than a fat quarter. I do not cut them up, however, because I make lots of small projects and often I can use the larger pieces for table runners, coasters, hot pads, luggage tags, passport holders, etc. If I have strips I use them for string quilts. If I need a few appliques that's where I look since there is a great variety of fabric and color. When they get really small I make crumb blocks. I use everything I can. Read recently about making trashcan fabrics but I'm gonna think about that for a while. Google trashcan fabrics, it'll make you think even if you don't plan to make any! Happy New Year!

Unique Creations 01-01-2011 03:14 PM

I had many, many, years accumulation of left overs from making clothes, scrubs, quilts. I did have them sorted into colors, prints or solids, and/or holidays, but no rhyme or reason within each tote. Needless to say I have a LOT of totes!! A few months ago I set out to sort and cut into squares. That has gone very well, I now have squares from 2" up to 10". Anything that was a FQ or over, I refolded and put back into the totes. The different size squares are sorted by size into stacking drawers. I still have a lot of the solids and holidays to sort and cut, but have made good headway with this project.