Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: my new NY's resolution...

is to quit throwing scraps from my current projects in a box to deal with later - just spent last several days going thru all my scraps and cutting into different size squares/strips (depending on how could get most out of each scrap. Now I do have stacks of squares/strips ready to use for a scrap quilt but way too much work to do it all at one time!

I find it easier and more efficient to cut them as I get them. I fill a shoe box with them, then when shoe box is full I file them in proper containers with like sizes.

bj
    I know what you mean. I used to just drop them in a plastic box beside my sewing table. Took the time, finally, to try and get them organized and in manageable pieces. I cut squares and strips until I wanted to scream. Now when I finish a project, I do the stripping and squaring right then if the leftovers are not at least close to a fat quarter. I need to make some scrappy quilts to get them used up. I don't seem to do those enough as my scrap bags just get bigger. :-D :-D

I have a tote of them. I'm almost afraid to open it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

np3
    Blog Entries
    Until recently, I threw them away. Now I feel guilty about the waste and I am saving them for someone. But I know I won't use them. I don't do scrappy and I don't usually do small pieces. Eventually, I'll send them to someone on here.

I toss mine. More trouble cutting and storeing them than it is to just get rid of them.

Save my scraps, comes in handy, my tote is full so it time to make a scrappy quilt or two.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I have a tote of them. I'm almost afraid to open it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Me too!! :D:D:D

I usually toss them in the scrap bag if they are less than a fat quarter. I do not cut them up, however, because I make lots of small projects and often I can use the larger pieces for table runners, coasters, hot pads, luggage tags, passport holders, etc. If I have strips I use them for string quilts. If I need a few appliques that's where I look since there is a great variety of fabric and color. When they get really small I make crumb blocks. I use everything I can. Read recently about making trashcan fabrics but I'm gonna think about that for a while. Google trashcan fabrics, it'll make you think even if you don't plan to make any! Happy New Year!

I had many, many, years accumulation of left overs from making clothes, scrubs, quilts. I did have them sorted into colors, prints or solids, and/or holidays, but no rhyme or reason within each tote. Needless to say I have a LOT of totes!! A few months ago I set out to sort and cut into squares. That has gone very well, I now have squares from 2" up to 10". Anything that was a FQ or over, I refolded and put back into the totes. The different size squares are sorted by size into stacking drawers. I still have a lot of the solids and holidays to sort and cut, but have made good headway with this project.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have so much trouble trying to organize my stash that I don't even keep scraps!
    I give them away, though. I just can't deal with them lol :D

I just finished doing that to my scraps too!! Wow..I'm with you...that was way too much time and work! Gotta get myself in the habit of taking care of scraps immediately when I'm done with a project.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I toss mine. More trouble cutting and storeing them than it is to just get rid of them.
    I use to do this but then I realized that I could save them and ship them to someone that would use them and so that is what I do now :)