Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my own worst critic! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-own-worst-critic-t234054.html)

pyffer3 11-05-2013 08:16 AM

my own worst critic!

I made a quilt for my sister-in-law when she visited last week and my daughter pointed out to me before I gave the quilt that I never seem to give a quilt without pointing out the flaws. I got to thinking about it and I believe she is right....I give something and after they say thank you I have a tendency to say 'but I couldn't get the lines straight in the stitching' or 'I meant to make it larger', or 'one of the blocks is smaller than all the others', or ....stuff like that. I bit my tongue this time as I wanted to say I left some strings uncut, one of the blocks was 1/2 inch smaller than the other blocks so it doesn't line up perfectly! Is this normal or am I just too much of a perfectionist?

meyert 11-05-2013 08:19 AM

I am the same way.... I guess I look so close at them I can't overlook them. My sister told me that she could not even see what I was pointing out as a problem. I think too part of it is that I am concerned that someone who has a lot more experience than me will see them and notice the things that I see....

maryb119 11-05-2013 08:22 AM

I do the same thing. Guess I should learn not to do that! ;)

Sewnoma 11-05-2013 08:32 AM

Yup, me too! I'm like that about everything in life and am consciously trying to improve. I have a really hard time accepting compliments so I tend to knock myself down about everything (quilting, my work...) and I'm really working on changing that.

After I began quilting I started really analyzing the quilts I own that were made by both of my grandmothers. I found all sorts of minor flaws that I had never ever noticed even though I've owned (and used!) some of these quilts for over 30 years. It was actually very cool to find little problems and I even found evidence of a couple spots that had been re-sewn....it made me feel much more relaxed about my sewing!! It made me realize that minor errors are completely invisible to most people, and if anybody DOES notice them that means they're probably a quilter too and they'll understand!

Tartan 11-05-2013 08:37 AM

I don't mention flaws, those are original design elements.:D

Tfch8184 11-05-2013 08:44 AM

I'm horrible about that. All I see are mistakes when I make stuff. It's hard for me to look and see the good in my own work!

dunster 11-05-2013 09:24 AM

One of my friends is a master at needle turn applique, and lately she's becoming extraordinarily good at piecing too. When I compliment one of her quilts, she just smiles and says "that's okay, I know where all the bones are buried." But I can't find the "bones", no matter how hard I look, and she doesn't point them out. I think that's a good way to approach compliments - offhandedly say that the piece isn't perfect, but don't catalog the problems.

DOTTYMO 11-05-2013 09:38 AM

I think it is something we all do. I've just made a top and before I looked I was convinced the points of a triangle and square would be miles out. Looking at it can't find the problem . I fact so far I can't find any bones.

crafty pat 11-05-2013 09:45 AM

Those I give quilts to do not quilt or sew, so they would not notice any small flaw. If I feel like it it noticeable I redo it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-05-2013 09:46 AM

I'm guilty, too. The worst part about me doing it is it drives me BATTY when other people do it. You would think I could shut up, but my mouth just flies open and starts cataloging problems.