Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My quilt needs to be washed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-quilt-needs-washed-t65622.html)

Ms. Shawn 09-20-2010 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by martapr
The sashing on my quilt is a purplish/pink batik and it needs to be cleaned. I attached a pic. What do you recommend?

Hello, Your quilt is just Beautiful!!! I love the colors!! :XD: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

farmer623 09-20-2010 03:21 AM

Wash in cold water on delicate cycle with Synthrapol and a couple of color catchers. Don't dry in dryer. Just put it on the bed or somewhere flat and block it out.

Late Bloomer 09-20-2010 04:10 AM

I used to prewash my fabrics but then I thought "why am I doing this when nothing ever runs" so now I never wash them and I always wash myquilts after finishing them because I want to see any mistakes before I give them away. I have never had any problems. I put the quilt and wash it as I would anything else, but I do half dry them in the dryer and put it on the bed to finish drying. I have instructed the recipients to do it the same way and so far, after a number of years, no problems. I feel that quilts are made to be used so I make sure they are firmly sewed (I am a hand quilter by the way) and that almost guarantees it to not fall apart. Incidentaly, I "quilt" by poking the needle in and pulling it out as if I were sewing a button on. I cannot get the hang of regular quilting and after some practice, it all looks pretty good and the grandchildren are just as warm under them. I tell them that the quilt is like grandma's love and hugs and that is what keeps them warm.

Carol W 09-20-2010 04:16 AM

Beautiful quilt.

sahm4605 09-20-2010 04:22 AM

if you are really worried, you could always fill up a bathtub and hand wash it that way. looks too big for a sink. I would try the color catchers in the tub with that synthrup(SP?) stuff that is supposed to catch the colors. I would start with a corner in the water and then go from there if it bleeds really bad I don't know what to do. good luck let us know how it works. I always pre-wash my batiks just to be sure that they don't bleed. pain in the toosh but it saves heartache later.

denilynne 09-20-2010 05:19 AM

I can't answer your question just wanted to say your quilt is beautiful.

Anna O 09-20-2010 05:21 AM

Shout color catcher for sure! I had a quilt bleed and was able to get the bleed out with several washings, using the color catchers. I ALWAYS use a color catcher, or two in the first washing of my quilts. I use a color catcher for every wash thereafter, until the bleeding stops.

grammyp 09-20-2010 05:22 AM

I would test the color, to see if it bleeds easily. Wash in the larges washer possible, cold water, lots of color catchers. Don't dry in a dryer, hang it if you can.

Or just send it to me. It would look great on my bed.

Anna O 09-20-2010 05:22 AM

Local quit shop/store

OmaForFour 09-20-2010 05:23 AM

You quilt is absolutely exquisite! I love the pattern! I love the colors! I have washed quilts in cold water with white vinegar in the water to set the colors and it worked fine.

Originally Posted by martapr
The sashing on my quilt is a purplish/pink batik and it needs to be cleaned. I attached a pic. What do you recommend?