Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My quilt is TOO SMALL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-quilt-too-small-t200714.html)

ube quilting 09-18-2012 03:04 PM

First, you quilt is fantastic. How about three or four borders in the colors from the quilt. I don't think it would detract from the center and might look well framed.

peace

Farm Quilter 09-18-2012 07:54 PM

How about making a picket fence with white and green (grass, you know) and make it look like a flower garden safely fenced in?

mrsjdt 09-18-2012 11:12 PM

How about a wider green, yellow, blue, as you have and applique some one block wonders?

QuilterMomOf3 09-19-2012 06:05 AM

I LOVE how you made flowers with triangles!!

Geri B 09-19-2012 06:43 AM

My question too is how would you add to this completed quilt????? It seems to me it would just not work, and might ruin a lovely quilt. If it were me, I would make another quilt for your bed-partner.......

Quilterfay 09-19-2012 07:31 AM

You could do the plain border and than put some tumbling block on that boarder. One of the ONE Block Wonder blocks has the blocks in it. Beautiful quilt love the colors.

flybreit 09-19-2012 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 5520429)
I think the green would work fine--even better if you could applique a few colorful flowers on the wide border. But even better IMO would be a piano keys border with strips of all the colors used in the quilt. You'd only need about 12" strips of ea sewn to make yardage. You could make the keys as wide as you liked. It would be boldly striking!

I was thinking the same thing Mermaid!

frannella 09-19-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine (Post 5520405)
I made a lovely OBW that we use on our bed, but my hubby is a cover thief. I'm going to add another border. I don't have any more of the original material but I do have more of the green strip that's in the small border.
I'd like to add almost a foot all around but wonder if that's too much. more stripes would be awful. Suggestions?
MaryKatherine

I dunno--I think you could have more stripes or strips around the perimeter--maybe a 2"-inch gold (matching the sunflowers, a 3-inch rose (matching lower right flowers), and a 4-inch blue floral or the dark blue per the suggestions of others....not quite the 12 inches you want, but close. It IS a beautiful quilt.

Iraxy 09-19-2012 05:25 PM

This quilt is so beautiful and visually pleasing. I would leave this quilt alone and just make another one that was larger. I think that adding to it will take away from the symmetry. Personally, I don't think that any of the ideas given would do it justice. You do what you think you need to do but I think you will be disappointed although I hope not.

FYI, this is one of the prettiest quilts I have seen on this board and I have looked at lots of them.

PPS I think maybe ube quilting's suggestion might be okay. Notice I said might :)

YC Quilter 09-19-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 5520429)
I think the green would work fine--even better if you could applique a few colorful flowers on the wide border. But even better IMO would be a piano keys border with strips of all the colors used in the quilt. You'd only need about 12" strips of ea sewn to make yardage. You could make the keys as wide as you liked. It would be boldly striking!

Funny, I just posted about my first OBW quilt. Yours is beautiful! I like the idea about adding piano key border..easy but striking!