Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My rag quilt wont rag properly.................. need help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-rag-quilt-wont-rag-properly-need-help-t25251.html)

amandasgramma 09-10-2009 07:22 AM

Well -- I was instructed differently!!! I was told to put the quilt in the dryer BUT to clean the lint filter every 10 minutes or so! Worked beautifuly on one I did years ago. You DO need to cut off the selvedge...the selvedge keeps the fabric from not fraying......so it needs to be gone.

I don't understand about "cutting on the bias"...if you cut a block.....all edges of the block will rag and at least 2 of them are on the bias and 2 aren't.

Try the dryer and see if that helps.

Bayou Quilter 09-10-2009 07:26 AM

I made a rag quilt a few years ago & used homespun fabric. It frayed beautifully. Later I made one with regular cotton & didn't find it ragged as well. They are really pretty when finished. Try a comb or brush to help remove the threads. It usually works....

Lucky Patsy's 09-10-2009 07:32 AM

I have heard of a chenille (SP?) brush you can use to get the ragged look, but I have never used one. Has anyone else? I would be interested to know as I recently spent $141 on washing machine repairs to remove threads from a clogged pump!

Prism99 09-10-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I don't understand about "cutting on the bias"...if you cut a block.....all edges of the block will rag and at least 2 of them are on the bias and 2 aren't.

A square block will have either all 4 sides on the straight-of-grain (2 on the lengthwise grain, 2 on the crosswise grain), or all 4 sides on the bias.

amma 09-10-2009 09:01 AM

Even cleaning out the lint filter every 10 minutes, you may be surprised at how much lint gets sucked into the barrel of the dryer and around the heating element...I have taken these apart myself and seen appliance repairmen do this...there can be A LOT of scortched lint around them!!! This is why dryers catch fire...you do not always smell the lint burning/scortching either!!!

butterflywing 09-13-2009 05:13 PM

you can buy a special lint brush that you stick down that chute and sweep it clean. well, cleaner. it does get a lot of junk out of there. you can also detach the flexible part of the hose and use that brush to get in there also by squashing the hose together as close as you can and releasing it slowly, brushing it as you go. just one more pain. and one more item to own.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-13-2009 07:25 PM

I made a mummy costume a few years back by sewing down the center of strips on beige cotton onto a sweat suit. In my vision it would look worn and raggy after washing and drying. When it didn't rag enough to suit me, I took an old fashioned hair brush that had zillions of plastic bristles to it. I gave it a good brushing, rewashed and redried it and had a dandy mummy.

BellaBoo 09-13-2009 07:59 PM

Chenille is cut on the bias so it will fray very tight. I have purchased chenille bias rolls. You sew down the middle and the edges fray. I have only made homespun rag quilts but have seen flannel rag quilts.

crashnquilt 09-14-2009 07:48 AM

For a rag quilt if you cannot put it in the dryer I would suggest that while it is hanging wet take a good old fashioned nylon hair brush and brush the dickens out of it while it is hanging.

Because of the fabrics in the quilt, it will not be soft if you are drying it on the clothesline.