Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Turn To Seek Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-turn-seek-advice-t179520.html)

CarrieC 02-17-2012 05:43 AM

Okay now I'll plead ignorance. Can you take a minute please Stchenfool and explain this technique? It sounds interesting!!! Thanks

Originally Posted by stchenfool (Post 4982565)
Another tip: remember: Baggy on the bottom (feed dogs will easy in the baggy). Works every time!

Dodie 02-17-2012 06:25 AM

your quilt meadurements are not that far off I would wet int put in on the flour on a clean sheet and if you have carpet ust "T" pins to straighten it leave until dry then I measure the middle up and down in the middle cut my border that exact length measure for the middle both quilt and border match and pin good and that half inch can very well be eased in through the length of the quilt then do the same across should work

Suzbo 02-17-2012 06:41 AM

I would leave it as is - after all, we are not perfect. Did you know that the Amish will make a mistake in their quilts on purpose? Their reasoning is that only God is perfect. I use that quite often - my work is Amish - LOL.

SandyQuilter 02-17-2012 06:51 AM

Don't cut the corners to square it up! It's not so out of square. Measure across the middle of the top in both directions. These are your measurements for binding, not the outer edges. Say top to bottom is 59¼ inches, but your edges are 60 and 59½ (forget about these measurements). Add 2 inches to the binding length for a 1 inch extension at both ends. Fold the binding in half and then in half again, and mark with pins or chalk to get the length divided evenly into quarters. Do the same for the top and bottom edges of the quilt. Pin the binding on to your quilt "sandwich." There will probably be excess "sandwich" lengths between the border quarters. Pin this excess in as best you can. When you sew the binding on, have the binding on top and the quilt on the bottom with the backing touching the presser plate of the machine. This helps the bottom layer be worked in. Stitch the binding on. I've used this method for all my quilts and it even works for sewing on binding by hand. Just work/ease any excess quilt sandwich into the binding. Repeat this for both sides. The quilt will be square and lay flat.
SandyQuilter

lfstamper 02-17-2012 06:52 AM

So do we know the approach taken? Please share.

SandyQuilter 02-17-2012 06:53 AM

Forgot to say. Never, EVER just cut binding without measuring and starting sewing from one end to the other. This is a sure way to have wavy edges and the quilt to be out of square.
SandyQuilter

mpspeedy 02-17-2012 06:55 AM

It is a fact of life that if you put the too large part of the quilt right side down on the sewing machine the feed dogs will ease it to match the smaller side on the top. This will work very well if the difference in the two sides is less than an inch. It is done in garmet sewing all of the time. Sometimes on purpose to make the garment fit better.

vlrigdon 02-17-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by moreland (Post 4981492)
This is the way I would do it, too. This is how I was taught way back when I first started quilting.

I vote for this option also. By the time it is all completed, bound, and then washed, that 1/4" will disappear. (I wouldn't be able to keep my cat off the blocked quilt on the floor either!!!)

JanieH 02-17-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by stchenfool (Post 4982565)
Another tip: remember: Baggy on the bottom (feed dogs will easy in the baggy). Works every time!

I had never heard this one; I have always had trouble remembering which way to put the extra fabric. Great way to remember! Thanks

wildyard 02-17-2012 09:33 AM

I always make sure to square my top when I add the borders by averaging the length and width and fitting the top to the border average. Then I don't have to worry about it when I add my binding. I always use a border so I don't know how I'd do it without one.