Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Turn To Seek Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-turn-seek-advice-t179520.html)

NatalieMacDonald 02-15-2012 02:22 PM

My Turn To Seek Advice

Before I just go ahead & get it done I thought no, I belong to the QB and can ask these wonderful people what I should do! A world wide resource of experienced quilters at my finger tip! I'll not take advantage of you...

My dilemma: My quilt before binding measures 59 1/2" and 59 1/4" and 59" wide (top, middle & bottom). Same kind of measurements for the length. The problem is that the four corners have sharp star points. How can I square it up when I need to maintain those points?

The only thing I thought of is to leave it and cut the binding on the bias so at least it will lay flat.

What is your advice?

Thank you!

Natalie

CarolinePaj 02-15-2012 02:39 PM

Hi Natalie,

Square it up by blocking it! It is not out so much so blocking it (I think that is the correct term) is a real option.

There are tutorials on how to do this, but the basic are that you lay the quilt on a clean sheet on the floor, dampen the quilt and and manouver it until it measures the same all the way down and accross and then leave it to dry!

Hope this helps

Hugs

Caroline

NatalieMacDonald 02-15-2012 02:47 PM

Perfect! I'll do it. Thank you Caroline.

Now how in the world do I keep my dog off it ong enough to dry???

Natalie

paulswalia 02-15-2012 02:48 PM

I'll need to follow this thread and learn along with you, Natalie. I have NEVER worried about how square my quilt was overall at the binding stage. My main concern was whether or not I had good 90 degree corners so that my binding would make a nice fold at the corner. the differences you cite will not be noticeable to the naked eye (or that infamous rider on a galloping horse...). Yes, you might notice it when folding the quilt because corners will not go to corners, but, really? Waiting now to see what others have to say. :)

gayle bong 02-15-2012 06:35 PM

I've heard of running a basting/gathering stitch in the seam allowance to aid in easing the long edges in to the smaller measurement. then attach the binding. I'd try the blocking first though.

virtualbernie 02-15-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by gayle bong (Post 4978807)
I've heard of running a basting/gathering stitch in the seam allowance to aid in easing the long edges in to the smaller measurement. then attach the binding. I'd try the blocking first though.

I've never heard of that one! I'll keep that in my arsenal! Thanks!

JustAbitCrazy 02-15-2012 07:10 PM

I say it's not that much difference from top to bottom, so unless you are entering it into a contest, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd try the suggestions above, and if it still wasn't perfectly square, I think I'd leave it. Cut off points would surely be more noticable than a half inch difference in width from top to bottom.

lfletcher 02-16-2012 05:24 AM

I would not square it up. The average of the 3 measurements is 59.25 so I would cut your first 2 borders this length and ease in the difference. 1/4 inch either way is not too much to ease in.

moreland 02-16-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 4979688)
I would not square it up. The average of the 3 measurements is 59.25 so I would cut your first 2 borders this length and ease in the difference. 1/4 inch either way is not too much to ease in.

This is the way I would do it, too. This is how I was taught way back when I first started quilting.

stchenfool 02-17-2012 05:32 AM

Another tip: remember: Baggy on the bottom (feed dogs will easy in the baggy). Works every time!