Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mystery Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mystery-quilts-t71468.html)

greencat 10-21-2010 11:27 AM

I've done a number of online mysteries. After doing a few quilts that I didn't particularly care for and considering the list of quilts that I really want to make, I've decided to only do smaller quilts/wallhangings.

Kitsapquilter 10-21-2010 11:36 AM

I love doing mystery quilts. I have taken alot of mystery classes. Mostly I take the classes just for the fun involved being with the other people.
Most of the mysteries i have done are from Debbie Caffrey of Debbie's Creative Moments. She has some free patterns posted on her web-site and probably a mystery on there too. Her mysteries are so much fun. Check her web-site out!

Navy Wife 10-21-2010 11:43 AM

I have discovered one thing about mysteries. If you will buy all your fabric from one collection, you will be happier with it. The first one I did was "scrappy", and I hated it. The colors didn't go together, and the overall impression was made by a 3 year old with no sewing ability. Then a friend talked me into the second one. I picked out fabric from a Moda collection, and it was beautiful.

lindyline 10-21-2010 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first big quilt was a mystery quilt, organised by a not so local quilt shop. Bought a certain amount of each value fabric, washed, starched then cut to specific sizes, all before the day. My youngest daughter adked me to make it for her, before we knew what it was. Her stipulations beying, pink, girly, but absolutely no flowers. This was the most fun quilt I've ever made. Just do it, extend yourself, and pick colors you like.
Here's a pic of part of it.

magnolia 10-21-2010 12:40 PM

I made one and was really happy with the result. It's kind of scary not knowing how the colors will go together but I think it was worth the risk. I loved mine so much that it is going to be a gift for someone and not hidden away.

oatw13 10-21-2010 02:03 PM

I did one online and I didn't really like the end result but it was fun.

I am now doing another one that just started two weeks ago and I am not sure I will like the end result, but, again, it is fun.

I like how you are given only bits and pieces to work on at a time because they are very easy to finish and I really have a sense of accomplishment each week.

The one I am doing now is a Christmas Quilt / wallhanging here:

http://erikhomemade.typepad.com/

I also liked the ones I did because I only used scraps. There was no monetary outlay for fabrics or anything. So, even though it isn't my favorite, it's ok because I didn't spend any money on it and I enjoyed the process.

Butterflyblue 10-21-2010 06:20 PM

Maybe I'll look for a small online mystery quilt that I can do mostly with fabrics from my stash. That way the money thing wouldn't be a big deal and I can satisfy my curiosity about "mystery" quilts.

greensleeves 10-21-2010 08:05 PM

I did one by Debbie Caffrey using fabric from my stash rather than spend a lot and not know where each fabric would appear in the final product. I must say, it turned out great--maybe I just got lucky. Have not done another, too many I want to do that I know the final outcome. Was fun though and I was in a class with a lot of fun quilters. Give it a try, it will be interesting not matter what the end result.

Kitsapquilter 10-21-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
I did one by Debbie Caffrey using fabric from my stash rather than spend a lot and not know where each fabric would appear in the final product. I must say, it turned out great--maybe I just got lucky. Have not done another, too many I want to do that I know the final outcome. Was fun though and I was in a class with a lot of fun quilters. Give it a try, it will be interesting not matter what the end result.

Don't you just love Debbie Caffrey's classes. She is such a great instructor. I took many classes from her up in Anchorage!

quilting cat 10-21-2010 09:12 PM

Quilter's Newsletter has had a mystery quilt series this past year -- I have all but the last part of instructions, but haven't started piecing yet! Guess it's no longer a mystery...