Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a 2nd machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-2nd-machine-t66432.html)

sewingladydi 09-23-2010 06:41 PM

I would look at the Kenmore. I've got a Viking, but still use my 30 year old Kenmore often.

hazeljane 09-23-2010 06:45 PM

I would totally go for an older machine- check out the older machines. My go-to spare is a Japanese made PINK Atlas, made in 1961. It's a zig zag machine, but more importantly, it's all metal, stitches like a champ, doesn't have cheesy plastic parts, or jump across the table, and she stitches like a little workhorse. All for $35.00. How can you beat that?

lovequilts 09-23-2010 06:52 PM

I have a high end Pfaff also and just bought a great backup machine from Craig list with is also a Pfaff. I can use my same feet on both machine. I love my backup machine as I take it to my sisters 200 miles away and do their mending and some project and don;'t have to worry about taking my "GOOD" machine. Good luck in your search.

lab fairy 09-23-2010 06:57 PM

I also own a Pfaff and am totally spoiled. I found I really liked my daughter's Jamome DC2010 when I got a chance to really sew on it. It doesn't have the IDT but it sews very smoothly. I can't vouch for how it would FMQ but for the price it is pretty sweet.

Aunt Doggie 09-23-2010 07:01 PM

I love the Sears Kenmore that I bought for around 80$...
It is a Janome and I think I can do free motion better on this than my Husqvarna!!

Check it out!

Justquilting 09-24-2010 05:08 AM

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I think I'll check out some lesser cost Phaff when I bring my machine in. Just so I could use the same feet.
Thank you Lovequilts I really hadn't thought of that.

Dee

gollytwo 09-24-2010 06:37 AM

I bought the Kenmore mini for $100. My Sears had to special order; if you have a Sears that has it in stock it's a good little 2nd machine.
I bought mine after reading recommendation from a Board member here.

I love my Jem Platinum, but it runs about $300

clem55 09-24-2010 11:28 AM

Along the same line, I've been looking at the Janome , MC 9700 and the Horizon. Just looking on line, don't known if I can afford either and I hate going to the shop to look and then know I can't buy. If I'm not too out of line, if any of you have these, would you mind telling me the cost? Right now I am looking at $350 to get my MC8000 fixed, I can't see the touch screen anymore, and it has to be sent off to be fixed, about 2 weeks at least.

quilter41 09-24-2010 11:41 AM

I would go to Walmart and pick one.up. Remember if you don't like it, you can return it. Saw a lady do that the other day. They allow returns on everything.

Justquilting 09-24-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Along the same line, I've been looking at the Janome , MC 9700 and the Horizon. Just looking on line, don't known if I can afford either and I hate going to the shop to look and then know I can't buy. If I'm not too out of line, if any of you have these, would you mind telling me the cost? Right now I am looking at $350 to get my MC8000 fixed, I can't see the touch screen anymore, and it has to be sent off to be fixed, about 2 weeks at least.

I feel your pain!! :-(
I wish they would put prices on their websites.
So at least you could do some research on them.