Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a 2nd machine

I have a Phaff that I love but my foot pedal is non-working right now. It's going to be a week before I can get it looked at. I have so many projects waiting for me...ugh...It's been a day & I'm having withdrawals. I don't think I'll make it a week never mind 2 if he needs to order a board..

As I digress...sorry.
    What would be a good second machine at low cost and just basic?
    My Phaff is high end so I don't need another.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Dee

Wal-Mart has some inexpensive sewing machines I believe they are by Brother I would try one of those. Does your repair man have a loaner you could borrow?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Wm carries brothers for less than a hundred bucks. I've been using one I paid 59.00 for for over 3 years now and I love it.

Dee you might try Craig's List... Sometimes you can find wonderful deals there

OHHHH just saw this post
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55670-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I would just go to town and start looking. We all have such different preferences. I have several different brands and I love them all for different reasons. The last time I was in one the the LQS's they had some lower end Pfaff machines at really good prices, I would check on those first.

I have the Brother LX-3125 and have been very happy with it. Very basic, inexpensive machine, but it does the job quite nicely.

If you line up the edge of your fabric with the outside edge of the feeddog slot, I get a very nice scant 1/4" seam on mine. Just enough scant that you can square up a D9P nicely and still have a true 12-1/2" block.

I have a Brother CE4000 that I was lucky enough to find on Craigslist for $50 and it was basically new. The girl had sewn one quilt with it. She called it a quilt, I would have called it a placemat. I think you can get these for around $200 at WM.

Every quilter should have a secondary machine. Personally I don't even think one back up is enough but that's just me. I love to collect machines.

CL is wonderful for getting an inexpensive machine.

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother that is similiar to the CE 4000, and I like it. I would still check the Pfaffs in your area in which have the IDT, which you are already used to it. There are so many machines out there now, it is just a matter of looking, even Target has some machines now. So does Costco off and on with some great deals. The LQS that is just across the railroad tracks from me has begun selling Janome and she loves them. At first she bought some Singers and they had nothing but problems with them. Have fun in your search.

I'd go with the Brother machines that you can find at WalMart. Mine lasted me 3 years before I upgraded to a Bernina just a month ago.

I would look at the Kenmore. I've got a Viking, but still use my 30 year old Kenmore often.

I would totally go for an older machine- check out the older machines. My go-to spare is a Japanese made PINK Atlas, made in 1961. It's a zig zag machine, but more importantly, it's all metal, stitches like a champ, doesn't have cheesy plastic parts, or jump across the table, and she stitches like a little workhorse. All for $35.00. How can you beat that?

I have a high end Pfaff also and just bought a great backup machine from Craig list with is also a Pfaff. I can use my same feet on both machine. I love my backup machine as I take it to my sisters 200 miles away and do their mending and some project and don;'t have to worry about taking my "GOOD" machine. Good luck in your search.

I also own a Pfaff and am totally spoiled. I found I really liked my daughter's Jamome DC2010 when I got a chance to really sew on it. It doesn't have the IDT but it sews very smoothly. I can't vouch for how it would FMQ but for the price it is pretty sweet.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    I love the Sears Kenmore that I bought for around 80$...
    It is a Janome and I think I can do free motion better on this than my Husqvarna!!

Check it out!

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I think I'll check out some lesser cost Phaff when I bring my machine in. Just so I could use the same feet.
    Thank you Lovequilts I really hadn't thought of that.

Dee

Banned
    I bought the Kenmore mini for $100. My Sears had to special order; if you have a Sears that has it in stock it's a good little 2nd machine.
    I bought mine after reading recommendation from a Board member here.

I love my Jem Platinum, but it runs about $300

Blog Entries
    Along the same line, I've been looking at the Janome , MC 9700 and the Horizon. Just looking on line, don't known if I can afford either and I hate going to the shop to look and then know I can't buy. If I'm not too out of line, if any of you have these, would you mind telling me the cost? Right now I am looking at $350 to get my MC8000 fixed, I can't see the touch screen anymore, and it has to be sent off to be fixed, about 2 weeks at least.

I would go to Walmart and pick one.up. Remember if you don't like it, you can return it. Saw a lady do that the other day. They allow returns on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Along the same line, I've been looking at the Janome , MC 9700 and the Horizon. Just looking on line, don't known if I can afford either and I hate going to the shop to look and then know I can't buy. If I'm not too out of line, if any of you have these, would you mind telling me the cost? Right now I am looking at $350 to get my MC8000 fixed, I can't see the touch screen anymore, and it has to be sent off to be fixed, about 2 weeks at least.
    I feel your pain!! :-(
    I wish they would put prices on their websites.
    So at least you could do some research on them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justquilting
    I wish they would put prices on their websites.
    So at least you could do some research on them.
    If you look for MSRP on the model number, you can get some base information lots of times. From there I start my bargaining at a nice round number about 30% below that and see what I can get.

I also check reviews (patternreview.com) to see if there is a review, how recent, and what the reviewer paid for the machine.

The data are out there, you just gotta go on the hunt. Good luck

Blog Entries
    HavenT found the prices yet, and I've been looking.

Here are my thoughts. You can ignore them if you want. I think you need to define what you really want in a second machine. Do you just want to sew a straight stitch? Do you need buttonholes, hem stitches, decorative abilities?

In my opinion, when it comes to sewing machines you get what you pay for. Walmart doesn't service machines they sell so you might get something cheap up front but you pay for it somewhere in the end. I'd look for a reliable dealer. (I think warranty service makes or breaks a deal for me.)

I haven't seen a reliable Singer for a long time although some will swear by them. I saw them being sold on TV explaining how they can bring you a better emboidery because they removed the computer from the machine so their machine is actually cheaper. I had to laugh because now people have to actually connect their computer to the machine. Didn't sound like much of a deal to me. I don't want a computer in my sewing area connected to my sewing machine by a cord. AWKWARD.

I hear Brother is doing some redesigning so you might want to be careful on those.

I've heard good things about Babylocks, Berninas and Viking. I use a Pfaff (wouldn't trade it for most sewing but I would look at another machine for embroidery because I really am not fond of the software mine has).

You can pick up a very nice Janome (it won't embroider a lot of designs) for around $350 (DC2010) but is has around 50 stitches.

Maybe a really good trade-in/second hand machine is the answer to the delimma? There are some awesome deals out there.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    HavenT found the prices yet, and I've been looking.
    http://bobs-sewnvac.com/cart/

and here is a thread about the Horizon

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51073-1.htm

Last year I purchased a Baby Lock for $350.00 new from the dealer, it was a prior years model, not top of the line, but a really nice lightweight machine, lots of feet including the 1/4 inch at no extra charge, and plenty of decorative stitches if you're into that. I love it. And it sure beats lugging a heavy machine even if it's from the sewing room to the front room so I can watch something special on TV. I simply don't want to move a heavy machine any longer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is 'look around', there are some really great deals if you search for them. Machines are like cars when the newer models come out you can get great deals on the older but still new models.

Longarm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast