Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My 2nd dummy block done--Still need a opinion >

My 2nd dummy block done--Still need a opinion

My 2nd dummy block done--Still need a opinion

Old 04-11-2015, 08:42 AM

Default My 2nd dummy block done--Still need a opinion

I finally got the 2nd block done. But not what I think is exciting, to me. Will ask for another opinion. In stead of the blue flowery print(not black).I was thinking of replaceing the blue, with the green fabric. Give me your ideals, on maybe what colored triangle to use instead of the blue print. Don[ATTACH=CONFIG]516542[/ATTACH] The 1st dummy block.[ATTACH=CONFIG]516543[/ATTACH]The 2nd block
Attached Thumbnails 007.jpg   006.jpg  
Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 AM

i'm thinking you might want to replace one of the prints with a solid..possibly a light solid. except for the dark blue, the remaining prints are of the same mid-tone value. maybe replace the dark blue with w/ the same white as the back-ground. that might set the pin-wheel off as well as the paddle effect of the rectangles. Then maybe keep all blocks the same except use the dark blue in place of the red floral on half of them..red floral as above on the other half..with the white replacing dark blue's position. this mean all just as you've done with white and blue tips on some and white/red tips on others.

ETA: i'm referring to the 2nd dummy block. to my eye, the first dummy block has too many colors/prints fighting for attention.

Last edited by mea12; 04-11-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM

OMG I love love love the first block just the way it is, and the 2nd block is nice too, but the thing I don't like so much about the navy blue fabric is that the scale of the print is so close to the scale of the red print. And yes it is a touch dark. I really like the way the orange and green are more varied in scale though. What do you have that might be a bit larger scale? And do you have anything turquios? It would be an interesting surprise of a color combination that is so in right now (if you like the funky color combinations of the last couple of years). Cute block! What is it called?
Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Both blocks are nice, so it depends on what you are looking for. If you switched the blue triangles with the green triangles in the first picture, I think you would get more movement in the block. I like the center pinwheel darker but it's up to you.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

For this block to work and have the wow factor it has to have a lot of contrast between the fabrics. The color and print is up to you as long as there is contrast.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 AM

I know this is off the wall and will create a totally new look, but what about rearranging the points into a star like pattern and then filling the central square, that this revision creates, with a seriously BOLD fabric or a smaller pinwheel? Of the two, as is, I am definitely voting for #2...the pinwheel shows the best.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:34 PM

Try switching the placement of the dark blue floral and the green batik.

In other words ... the gold and the blue floral would make up the center pin-wheel, and the green and the red will make up the outer points.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:41 PM

On the bottom one I would replace the navy ones with a low volume print or light colored solid. I think the prints are too much alike to see the pinwheel.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I like both blocks but not sure where you are going, make a scrappy quilt?? I do like the boldness in the center rather than the red accent on the outside with your previous post. Hang in there !!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Bonnie-maybe a light gold with a very tiny pattern?