Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No Batting in Quilt

I was at an auction today and saw several quilts that had no batting--could see through white backing and saw back of quilt top. I thought all quilts were supposed to have a batting--thus the sandwich. What's the rule?

Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    No Rule, I made my GM, one with no batting cause she's hot natured. I also read in quilt history lots of quilts were made without batting as Summer quilts Or because there was no money for any batting. ;)

I make kids quilts with no batting a lot of the time just because it reduces the weight of the quilt and they can carry it around with them easily. When I do that, I usually make them with flannel on the back and cotton on the front so it's still warm and cozy. The quilts I make as throws for my couch I do the same way, using 1-1/2 yd. each of flannel and cotton.

Here's a picture of one of the kid's quilts I do that way.

Flannel Panel
    Name:  Attachment-107069.jpe
Views: 356
Size:  63.1 KB

Cotton Back
    Name:  Attachment-107221.jpe
Views: 336
Size:  80.6 KB

Blog Entries
    How cute!

No batting quilts are sometimes called summer quilts or coverlets. Here in Florida, batting can be too much warmth.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't put batting in all mine either, especially if it is a thicker cotton and heavy. Turns out well. Not as light as I thought either. Nice and snuggley.

When done this way is it quilted ? This sounds like a good Idea for summer. Thanks for posting. I am gonna try it.

In my opinion, if you have 2 fabrics together, you must tie or quilt it, I think when laundered it would be a mess.

My Mom made them like that in Puerto Rico...way too hot. She did diagonal lines or stitch in the ditch to hold the layers together.

if I use flannel on the back then I don't use batting....too hot for my crew LOL

Maybe the batting really shifted around leaving gaps. I have seen some older quilts like this.

you learn something new every day around here!!! :shock:

what an idea...makes the last minute gift even quicker to finish

Blog Entries
    I also do the only-2-layers (top and backing) for pieced/patchwork/appliqué tablecloths.

Blog Entries
    I do my rag quilts without batting.

Blog Entries
    I have made them this way and quilted them the same as if there was batting :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I have made them this way and quilted them the same as if there was batting :D:D:D
    Me too. And I don't add batting to my rag quilts either but I do add a smaller inside layer of flannel if I want it a little warmer. If I'm making the rag quilt out of fleece, I don't add a smaller inside layer. But I do sew the "X" over the 2 pieces of fleece to keep them from shifting.

wow - I never even thought of NOT having btting in the quilts! Is it harder or easier to quilt like that?

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    wow - I never even thought of NOT having btting in the quilts! Is it harder or easier to quilt like that?
    I think it depends on how much effort you want to put into the actual quilting. Do you just want to do straight lines, or stippling, a design or just outlining. And how thick/thin your batting is if using it.

Thanks for responding to my question. The quilt I saw was BEAUTIFUL. Wouldn't have thought about it not having any batting if I hadn't seen the back side. I do all hand quilting so it looks like this would also be much easier than having the added bulk of the batting. Will try this on my next quilt (which is still several months away). Am still working on a queen size I started several months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    I was at an auction today and saw several quilts that had no batting--could see through white backing and saw back of quilt top. I thought all quilts were supposed to have a batting--thus the sandwich. What's the rule?
    We had a quilt appraiser at our last meeting and she said that without the batting it was called a coverlet not a quilt.

One reply was that a quilt appraiser said that w/o the batting it was a coverlet, not a quilt. Not planning on entering mine in a quilt contest so guess it's not really an issue with me. If a "coverlet" is more useable than a quilt with batting for someone, then I'm sure it would be better to leave the batting out.

I have been quilting for a few years but I seem to learn something new each time I make a quilt. I never thought about not putting batting in a quilt, thus the "sandwich". Early in my quilt-making I hand pieced, stars and 9 patches, and hand quilted a large flannel quilt. It was flannel front and back with warm and natural batting. It turned out beautiful to look at, but useless. It is so heavy and so hot that my hubby doesn't use it. I have made others since then, but use a lightweight polyester batting. Maybe I'll try one with no batting! Do I have to call it a coverlet then?

I was told those as summer quilts.

My DD just picked out some wonderful flannel for the front and back of a new throw. I'm not using batting. It would be too warm. She can't wait to get it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast