Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No Batting in Quilt

Why not just call it a
    summer quilt? As far as I'm concerned, a quilt is a quilt is a quilt. Not going to get that picky over what it call it.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    you learn something new every day around here!!! :shock:
    That is so true! I love this forum. I've learned a lot and laughed at loud at some of the posts. Like having hundreds of new friends all around the world. I have heard ladies say that if a quilt was going to be used for a tablecloth or decorative outside for a shower curtain they would not add batting, as well as summer quilts here in the South. Gabrielle - Alabama

I agree!!!! Quilting should be creative, fun and relaxing. Too many rules take the enjoyment out of the project.

Blog Entries
    The whole idea of the patchwork and piecing tends to pull me to call it a quilt even if it has only 2 layers.
    I do call my 2 layer projects tablecloths or coverlets, but I think of them as "quilting."
    I know, I know, illogical.
    :roll: ;) :shock: :-o :-D :P

Quote Originally Posted by ProLongarmARTQUILTER
    No Rule, I made my GM, one with no batting cause she's hot natured. I also read in quilt history lots of quilts were made without batting as Summer quilts Or because there was no money for any batting. ;)
    Sometimes you get cheap flanelette sheets (on sales when the winter season has ended), quite thick ones, I have used them as batting, specially for little kids quilts.

I sometimes use fleece for the backing of a child's quilt, and I like it better without batting. Plenty snuggly without the heaviness.

awesome idea. I have all ways use batting.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I make kids quilts with no batting a lot of the time just because it reduces the weight of the quilt and they can carry it around with them easily. When I do that, I usually make them with flannel on the back and cotton on the front so it's still warm and cozy. The quilts I make as throws for my couch I do the same way, using 1-1/2 yd. each of flannel and cotton.

Here's a picture of one of the kid's quilts I do that way.
    That's cute kids Quilt!!
    Never thought of the heat thing, Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    I made one for my grandson, to keep in the car..no batting, and no quilting. she uses it to keep over the car seat, to keep the sun off it.

before i knew how to sew/quilt, i used a duvet cover as a blanket..2 sheets sewn together..in the summer.

I hadn' thought of that - good idea
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda21
    if I use flannel on the back then I don't use batting....too hot for my crew LOL

Has anyone used a thin flannel sheet as the batting?

Blog Entries
    I am currently making a quilt without batting. When I do this, I use either a printed lining so block stitching will not show through or a darker lining. It also makes a reversable quilt. As for it being a suimmer quilt, that is OK, but seems almost as heavy without the batting, depending on what batting you use.

During the pre-WW II conflict and even following, it was almost impossible to get batting. Either there was none or too expensive to purchase. To my knowledge, that is when the quilts with no batting started. I can remember my GM all wool top with dark flannel lining. no batting, which was tied at each corner. Warm? you betcha!

Thanks for the info. We live in the south and have very little REALLY cold weather. LOVE quilts but they can be TOO heavy for our climate.

I'm making a new duvet for our down comforter. In the past I've used 2 flat king sized sheets, but they don't make printed sheets anymore that I like in 100% cotton. So I'm piecing 2 tops, a different pattern and colors on each side. I'd thought I'd back each with muslin,do some easy quilting to hold those layers together, just to keep the raw edges from rubbing on the comforter, when in use and when it gets washed. The duvet is on the bed by itself in the summer and used as a spread.

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    Has anyone used a thin flannel sheet as the batting?
    I have used thin and thick flannell sheets, whatever comes. Sometimes I've also doubled the sheet if I thought it was too thin. Works really good and comes out just as nice.

I knew a lady who used old blankets as batting, had ask why she said it saved money and when there was a shortage of batting you got the same results.

Blog Entries
    I learn something everyday when I read these posts. Now this has opened a whole new can of worms! I can actually see some quilts finished now!

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I have 2 quilts that were made as Summer quilts. They were pieced by my Grandmother and never quilted. Very thin material and they were meant to not have batting. However, when I had them quilted we decided to put in a very light batting and back. They probably weigh about 1/3 of a regular quilt.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe I never considered not using batting! Makes total sense to me to use none or a thin flannel. Too bad I have to work or I'd be in my room trying one right now!

I'm new to quilting and have only made 2 quilts, one of them with flannel as the batting. I agree with others...this is a wonderful board and I have learned so much...the good ideas seem to keep coming. Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries
    Both of my grandmothers made quilts and neither of them used batting, not sure if there was even such a thing in their time. My mom said they either used a sheet in the middle or recycled an old blanket. I love a quilt with no batting and a cotton sheet on the back, so cool in the summer and I am not a person who likes much weight to my blankets.

Blog Entries
    I remember reading about the different kinds of batting used before commercial batting was available or affordable. I can't imagine using milkweed (the fluffy white part of the seeds). What a lot of work! We've got it awfully good, don't we?

I am so happy that I began reading this forum. I have one quilt top completed and another almost ready to go. They are both for a California king size bed and are so heavy even w/o batting or backing. I am going to make "Summer Quilts" with them. Thanks for the question and all the great answers.

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    I was at an auction today and saw several quilts that had no batting--could see through white backing and saw back of quilt top. I thought all quilts were supposed to have a batting--thus the sandwich. What's the rule?
    Many people in the hot southern states make bed toppers with no batting because they don't want the weight.

Blog Entries
    I made one with no batting, as I wanted it for a Summer Quilt. I really like it!
    A friend did her long-arm for me. She said she thought it would have been better for machine quilting to have used a very light batting. She showed me several places that were hard for her to machine quilt, and she "goofed."
    She said there is a light-weight batting on the market now for just that purpose. I haven't seen it, but she said you can get it at JoAnn's.
    I made another one with a very light-weight blanket and it was fine. Either way for me. Also batting gets expensive.
    Mariah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast