Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No Batting in Quilt >

No Batting in Quilt

No Batting in Quilt

Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
I was at an auction today and saw several quilts that had no batting--could see through white backing and saw back of quilt top. I thought all quilts were supposed to have a batting--thus the sandwich. What's the rule?
We had a quilt appraiser at our last meeting and she said that without the batting it was called a coverlet not a quilt.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 AM

One reply was that a quilt appraiser said that w/o the batting it was a coverlet, not a quilt. Not planning on entering mine in a quilt contest so guess it's not really an issue with me. If a "coverlet" is more useable than a quilt with batting for someone, then I'm sure it would be better to leave the batting out.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 AM

I have been quilting for a few years but I seem to learn something new each time I make a quilt. I never thought about not putting batting in a quilt, thus the "sandwich". Early in my quilt-making I hand pieced, stars and 9 patches, and hand quilted a large flannel quilt. It was flannel front and back with warm and natural batting. It turned out beautiful to look at, but useless. It is so heavy and so hot that my hubby doesn't use it. I have made others since then, but use a lightweight polyester batting. Maybe I'll try one with no batting! Do I have to call it a coverlet then?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 AM

I was told those as summer quilts.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

My DD just picked out some wonderful flannel for the front and back of a new throw. I'm not using batting. It would be too warm. She can't wait to get it.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Why not just call it a
summer quilt? As far as I'm concerned, a quilt is a quilt is a quilt. Not going to get that picky over what it call it.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
you learn something new every day around here!!! :shock:
That is so true! I love this forum. I've learned a lot and laughed at loud at some of the posts. Like having hundreds of new friends all around the world. I have heard ladies say that if a quilt was going to be used for a tablecloth or decorative outside for a shower curtain they would not add batting, as well as summer quilts here in the South. Gabrielle - Alabama
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM

I agree!!!! Quilting should be creative, fun and relaxing. Too many rules take the enjoyment out of the project.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM

The whole idea of the patchwork and piecing tends to pull me to call it a quilt even if it has only 2 layers.
I do call my 2 layer projects tablecloths or coverlets, but I think of them as "quilting."
I know, I know, illogical.
:roll: ;) :shock: :-o :-D :P
Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ProLongarmARTQUILTER
No Rule, I made my GM, one with no batting cause she's hot natured. I also read in quilt history lots of quilts were made without batting as Summer quilts Or because there was no money for any batting. ;)
Sometimes you get cheap flanelette sheets (on sales when the winter season has ended), quite thick ones, I have used them as batting, specially for little kids quilts.