Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No Batting in Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    No batting quilts are sometimes called summer quilts or coverlets. Here in Florida, batting can be too much warmth.
    Same here in AUSTRALIA , HAVE BEEN KNOW TO USE WHITE FLANELETTE INSTEAD OF BATTING OR JUST FLANNELETE ON THE BACK WITH NO BATTING. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS

Power Poster
    There really is no rule. Summer quilts or quilts for youngins who will carry it around where ever they go can be made without the bulk and warmth of batting.

i saw a quilting show a few years back where they used newsprint for the batting thought it was very interesting

When I make animal shaped rag quilts I use a very thin batting. it helps the quilt hold its unusual shape. Here is a picture of my last kitty shaped rag quilt.

my little girl picked out all the colors
    Name:  Attachment-102448.jpe
Views: 122
Size:  41.6 KB

By Georgie I have never hear of all that. Quilts with no batting? but I like that idea. I have been planning to do one for a friend in Mexico and wasn't sure how to keep it from being to warm, well now I know! Thanks everyone for all your input. It sure is going to make my challenge much easier.

Blog Entries
    I am very busy trying to reduce my stash before I move. I make quilts for the Veterans in a vet's hospital. Just today, I finished 2 with 10 inch blocks. While doing this, I had an idea. If I make a pillow case, then join it with a shashing (on each side of course) then turn the hem over for a binding, would that be a faux pau for quilting. or is it an idea I can carry through on? Some opinion's please!

Blog Entries
    Did they ever wash them? News print would shred when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    I do my rag quilts without batting.
    I do raggidy flannel quilts without batting too. However, I did use batting in my last two flannel quilts. One was the thinnest loft Dream Poly, and one was a Quilt-Light, by Mountain Mist. I thought they were heavy enough in between two layers of flannel. But that sounds like a good idea for a light weight Summer Quilt with no batting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariah
    I made one with no batting, as I wanted it for a Summer Quilt. I really like it!
    A friend did her long-arm for me. She said she thought it would have been better for machine quilting to have used a very light batting. She showed me several places that were hard for her to machine quilt, and she "goofed."
    She said there is a light-weight batting on the market now for just that purpose. I haven't seen it, but she said you can get it at JoAnn's.
    I made another one with a very light-weight blanket and it was fine. Either way for me. Also batting gets expensive.
    Mariah
    I got my Quilt-Light batting by Mountain Mist at Joann's Fabrics last week. Maybe this is what your quilter friend is talking about. I quilted my on my domestic machine and had good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom
    I was at an auction today and saw several quilts that had no batting--could see through white backing and saw back of quilt top. I thought all quilts were supposed to have a batting--thus the sandwich. What's the rule?
    It may have been a tablecloth or summer quilt.

I'm so glad I read this!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariah
    I made one with no batting, as I wanted it for a Summer Quilt. I really like it!
    A friend did her long-arm for me. She said she thought it would have been better for machine quilting to have used a very light batting. She showed me several places that were hard for her to machine quilt, and she "goofed."
    She said there is a light-weight batting on the market now for just that purpose. I haven't seen it, but she said you can get it at JoAnn's.
    I made another one with a very light-weight blanket and it was fine. Either way for me. Also batting gets expensive.

How does this compare to the 80/20?

Mariah
    I got my Quilt-Light batting by Mountain Mist at Joann's Fabrics last week. Maybe this is what your quilter friend is talking about. I quilted my on my domestic machine and had good luck.

How does the Quilt Lite compare to the Hobbs 80/20?

Well, I was feeling so guilty as I am working on a quilt with no batting right now. Now I am no longer cheating!! In my mind was calling it a Arizona quilt as we seldom need heavy bedding. Thanks so much for letting me know I am not the only one

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't use batting on the jean quilts I do, I do back them with flees. We get some really cold days in Oregon. God bless.

Blog Entries
    The demonstrator at our guild last night showed quilts with no batting. One I especially liked was of flannel on both top and backing. It was nice and soft and looked wonderful.
    She used motifs with pictures from coloring books and it was so clever. I guess the Summer Quilts, or whatever you want to call them with no batting, are making a return.
    Mariah.

Dee
    Always learn something on this helpful board. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I do some of my charity quilts with just 2 layers. Cotton on front and polar fleece on the back. They are warm, comfort soft and light enough for the little ones to carry around.

I make summer quilts and wall hangings/chair covers without batting. I especially like Robbing Peter to Pay Paul without batting. Don't know why. I have a dog that prefers no batting.

The one summer exception: I always put batting in a picnic quilt for the cushioning.

DS
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I make kids quilts with no batting a lot of the time just because it reduces the weight of the quilt and they can carry it around with them easily. When I do that, I usually make them with flannel on the back and cotton on the front so it's still warm and cozy. The quilts I make as throws for my couch I do the same way, using 1-1/2 yd. each of flannel and cotton.

Here's a picture of one of the kid's quilts I do that way.
    NICE VERY NICE

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    No batting quilts are sometimes called summer quilts or coverlets. Here in Florida, batting can be too much warmth.
    Same here in AUSTRALIA , HAVE BEEN KNOW TO USE WHITE FLANELETTE INSTEAD OF BATTING OR JUST FLANNELETE ON THE BACK WITH NO BATTING. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS
    Hi Lady from Australia!
    :-D
    I have come up with another few ideas for batting, specially if you have to count your pennies.... I have gone to OP-Shops (for the people in the States, there are some 2nd hand shops run by LifeLine or the Salvation Army) and there you find for a quite decent price some bedspreads, all sizes, in all sort of thickness which you can cut up and use as batting, also blankets are to be found, thick and thin ones. Lately my daughter who owns a motel has given me a whole pile of mattress protectors she wanted to replace with newer ones and they are just great!!! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Some of you talk about using fleece as a backing with no batting. How does that work? Doesn't it stretch when you quilt it or is there a special technique you use? I would love to try this but need advice first! I learn so much from all of you :)

Quote Originally Posted by colleen1978
    Some of you talk about using fleece as a backing with no batting. How does that work? Doesn't it stretch when you quilt it or is there a special technique you use? I would love to try this but need advice first! I learn so much from all of you :)
    I don't use a lot of quilting. Usually just straight lines, usually on the diagonal, and up to 6" apart. Use a lot of pins and don't pull on the fabric. I use a longer stitch and go a little slower than usual.

my mother (85) says when she was young, her mother made quilts out of whatever they had(used clothing-cotton,wool,corduroy) and batting was old newspapers,catalog pages.any paper leftover was stuffed around windows and doors.CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE!!! And HOW would wash that???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt crazee
    my mother (85) says when she was young, her mother made quilts out of whatever they had(used clothing-cotton,wool,corduroy) and batting was old newspapers,catalog pages.any paper leftover was stuffed around windows and doors.CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE!!! And HOW would wash that???
    They probably didn't wash it, but beat it and aired it out. I believe that in the "old days" they used whatever was on hand. I have a quilt that my great grandmother made and although it is in perfect condition with no way to look inside, it doesn't' feel like any kind of batting we have now and it is so heavy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast