Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a 2nd machine >

Need a 2nd machine

Need a 2nd machine

Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Justquilting
I wish they would put prices on their websites.
So at least you could do some research on them.
If you look for MSRP on the model number, you can get some base information lots of times. From there I start my bargaining at a nice round number about 30% below that and see what I can get.

I also check reviews (patternreview.com) to see if there is a review, how recent, and what the reviewer paid for the machine.

The data are out there, you just gotta go on the hunt. Good luck
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM

HavenT found the prices yet, and I've been looking.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Here are my thoughts. You can ignore them if you want. I think you need to define what you really want in a second machine. Do you just want to sew a straight stitch? Do you need buttonholes, hem stitches, decorative abilities?

In my opinion, when it comes to sewing machines you get what you pay for. Walmart doesn't service machines they sell so you might get something cheap up front but you pay for it somewhere in the end. I'd look for a reliable dealer. (I think warranty service makes or breaks a deal for me.)

I haven't seen a reliable Singer for a long time although some will swear by them. I saw them being sold on TV explaining how they can bring you a better emboidery because they removed the computer from the machine so their machine is actually cheaper. I had to laugh because now people have to actually connect their computer to the machine. Didn't sound like much of a deal to me. I don't want a computer in my sewing area connected to my sewing machine by a cord. AWKWARD.

I hear Brother is doing some redesigning so you might want to be careful on those.

I've heard good things about Babylocks, Berninas and Viking. I use a Pfaff (wouldn't trade it for most sewing but I would look at another machine for embroidery because I really am not fond of the software mine has).

You can pick up a very nice Janome (it won't embroider a lot of designs) for around $350 (DC2010) but is has around 50 stitches.

Maybe a really good trade-in/second hand machine is the answer to the delimma? There are some awesome deals out there.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
HavenT found the prices yet, and I've been looking.
http://bobs-sewnvac.com/cart/

and here is a thread about the Horizon

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51073-1.htm
Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Last year I purchased a Baby Lock for $350.00 new from the dealer, it was a prior years model, not top of the line, but a really nice lightweight machine, lots of feet including the 1/4 inch at no extra charge, and plenty of decorative stitches if you're into that. I love it. And it sure beats lugging a heavy machine even if it's from the sewing room to the front room so I can watch something special on TV. I simply don't want to move a heavy machine any longer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is 'look around', there are some really great deals if you search for them. Machines are like cars when the newer models come out you can get great deals on the older but still new models.

Longarm
Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 AM

No more withdrawals. It was a beautiful day for a ride. Stopped by the same sewing center that I got my Long Arm & picked this little beauty up.
So now I have a good 2nd machine.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Dee

Janome DC2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90276[/ATTACH]

Good thing for a trunk
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90277[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90271.jpe   attachment-90272.jpe  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Perfect fit. My daughter loves hers. I've been pondering one of those for myself.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Perfect fit. My daughter loves hers. I've been pondering one of those for myself.
Lab Fairy,
The dealer I bought it from suggested this one...He said it was a work horse. I like the way it stitched & it was quiet. Not loud like some of the other ones I've tried.
I'm going to be very happy with this one backing up my Phaff. No more traveling for that one. :-D
Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Kenmore, Janome and Brother have basically the same manufacturer so you can't go wrong. An older Singer would be a good bet too. The Brother CS6000i use to be available at Walmart, met a male quilter a couple weeks ago who had one and loved it so much he bought his daughter one for Christmas, so I recommended it to friend who wanted to get a machine for a daughter for Christmas, they run around $150. My spare machine is a Janome Gem.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM

Oh, I didn't see your post, you got the 2010! I bought 2 of those last year for my classroom - the kids LOVE it! You won't be disappointed!