Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice should I this or should I that? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-should-i-should-i-t6687.html)

jbsstrawberry 04-30-2008 05:18 PM

First of all absolutely beautiful!! I'm for the up and down version (2nd pic) too.

Cordelia 04-30-2008 06:47 PM

I like the long vertical rows. Flying geese always showcase better in a long, continuous line.

I also love your colors. I love that background. It's just gorgeous.

That will be so charming when it's done -- it's charming now.

Oh, I'm still kind of new at quilting, but as long as those paper-pieced flying geese aren't sewn onto anything, I'd keep the paper on. I would take it off right before I sewed it onto another piece.

You know what I paper piece with? Dollar Store gift tissue paper. You don't stretch the stitching all out ripping that paper off.

Barb M 04-30-2008 08:05 PM

Oh your quilt is beautiful!. First, i believe your are saying that whichever technique you use, the geese will still be in long strips like in your drawing, (for those that were considering appearance), you are just wondering about technique to do it. If it was me, this is what i'd do. I would do them in horizontal increments, and this is why. If you do one huge long strip at once, it is very easy to get it going wavy, and not precise. In smaller increments, you can square up the strips again, after each in sewn on, to keep things straighter. Also, small horizontal rows are easier to deal with. I leave all my paper on til i have sewn all my seams, just for me, i find this easier. Makes my seams much more accurate, and is very stabilizing. But it is more of a pain to tear the paper off this way after, so each person has their preferance on this. Good luck with it :)

zyxquilts 04-30-2008 09:55 PM

I'm with BarbM, I'd do it in the smaller increments - I think it would be easier to handle. I always leave the paper on until it's all sewn together. Just a little tip...if you have trouble tearing any of it off, you can spray it with some water to soften it up a bit.
I'm looking forward to seeing it all together :D

tlrnhi 04-30-2008 11:34 PM

I think it just looks better, the way FG should go.
I took your "written" pattern and turned my screen on the side, and that's when I decided that it looked better in long rows, rather than horizonal.

blahel 05-01-2008 12:57 AM

I just wanted to say love the colors and go by what the other ladies think because they know what they are doing!

Izy 05-01-2008 01:06 AM

Cordelia - I have a flying geese border completely around my king size quilt. I paper pieced in 8 geese sections then joined them together in long rows with the paper on. I then removed the papers very carefully, and pinned the full length, I had worked out exactly how many but you need to pin each end and ease the rest in place as there is alot of stretch due to the bias cut. This is my first quilt, and you can see the quilt on the thread - Do you want to see some progress if you use the search button above you will find it or in my bookmarks.

Hope this helps :D

Izy 05-01-2008 01:10 AM

Sorry I should have said how lovely your quilt is going to be, the colours are beautiful, I love the aubergine and beige together, and you have designed it yourself.....well done!! :D

SaraSewing 05-01-2008 01:13 AM

definitely uppy and downy. The quilt will be wonderful! I love the blocks.

quilterj 05-01-2008 01:26 AM

love the pattern and colors. that will be beautiful.