Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help/advice please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-advice-please-t192041.html)

Nokie 06-17-2012 03:00 PM

Need help/advice please!

3 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out -(Pictures below)

I have a panel that I want to quilt for my mom who loves sunflowers. I was going to just go around the edge then use my new stencil and pounce to do the rest. The problem is - since I had to square the fabric - I don't know how I'm going to stitch on the one side without getting into the sunflower.

Any ideas? Is there a better way to quilt this one? I thought about cutting the sunflowers out completely but I wasn't sure how that would look and I wasn't sure what to do with them if I did.

Thank you for your time and ideas!

Tartan 06-17-2012 04:40 PM

How about instead of quilting the flower ouline, you stitch the center and do a little thread painting around the middle and out into the petal a bit. It would enhance the flower look and hold the layers together nicely without quilting the outside.

amandasgramma 06-17-2012 04:50 PM

I guess I can't figure out your question....maybe I'm just tired tonight.

Looking at your quilt --- I'd do SID for each block and then go around each building and the flowers. I'd even be tempted to put some extra batting behind the flowers (trapunto). If you follow the lines on the buildings, etc, really close it will make everything stand out really nice.

Nokie 06-17-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma (Post 5296654)
I guess I can't figure out your question....maybe I'm just tired tonight.

Looking at your quilt --- I'd do SID for each block and then go around each building and the flowers. I'd even be tempted to put some extra batting behind the flowers (trapunto). If you follow the lines on the buildings, etc, really close it will make everything stand out really nice.

I'm sorry - that's my fault. I re-read what i originally posted - I guess I'm more tired than I thought! I'm amazed you made any sense out of what I posted at ALL - let me try again - in English this time LOL

My delimma is this - see the sunflower on the left side of the panel? There's not enough room (for me anyway) to sew on that side without going into the flower design. I'm still learning so I have to have things pretty simple. My original thought was that I could just take that panel and I could outline the whole thing and be done - easy! I should of known better huh?

I'm doing the same thing you said - it's just I don't know what to do on that one side where its a little short on material.

Silver Needle 06-17-2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5296633)
How about instead of quilting the flower ouline, you stitch the center and do a little thread painting around the middle and out into the petal a bit. It would enhance the flower look and hold the layers together nicely without quilting the outside.

This is exactly what I would do. There are no quilt police to say you have to go around the outline. And it will give a contrast in style to the rest of the quilt. Put on your darning foot and try fmq. Small areas to work with (the petals) + nothing in nature is perfect, it's a win, win situation. Go google sunflower pictures for inspiration. Put on brown thread to match center of sunflower, do some small circles (random not in a line) around the edge. As you come to each petal make some lines into it; shorter at edges and longer in center. Stitch straight out into the petal then try to come back right on your same line of stitching. It doesn't 't have to be perfect. Let us know how it goes.

Nokie 06-17-2012 08:14 PM

Thanks for the idea!! It will be interesting as I quilt by hand - and I'm just learning - so it will be fun for all LOL

amandasgramma 06-17-2012 08:18 PM

Nokie -- I agree with them....... :) Now I'm going to bed... :)

Quiltaddict 06-18-2012 10:16 AM

Don't know the answer to your question but wanted to say that I love the quilt/panel. I love sunflowers too.